Do i need co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noddster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm starting up a planted aquarium, I have purchase a high powered led light setup and I'm wondering if I need co2 setup for the plants?

I have at the moment Anubis, Pygmy chain sword, small leaf lobelia and two other plants I don't know, I have been thinking of adding java moss and hair grass in the next month or two just to finish off what look I'm going for

I can help u with this Anubis and java fern/java moss will not have to have co2 they are called lowlight plants. Hai grass is high light and will most likely need it so I would just skip that.

Plants to add: water sprite, java fern and moss, marimo moss ball, horn wort, micro crypt, willow moss, and Christmas moss.

Thanks I will forget my hair grass and go with the others when I find them

This is a list I copied from someone else these are all plants u could use

Attachments

• image-1794447890.jpg
    image-1794447890.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 64
Hello Nodd...

CO2 is pricey and tricky to set up and run. Unless you have high end lighting and prefer plants that require strong to bright light, you don't need it. The plants requiring lower, more subdued light will do fine if you perform large, frequent water changes and have a good fish load in the tank and feed the fish a varied diet. Those kinds of plants won't need any extras.

B

Ok thanks, i do have a high powered led light, but I'll keep an eye out for low light plants to put In my tank, to keep it simple

Thanks I will forget my hair grass and go with the others when I find them

What LED light did you buy exactly? And what is size tank with dimensions? If you indeed have a medium or high light LED then it's a waste to only do low light tolerant plants. Once you post what you have we can give you a list of plants you can use. Also you will need to either dose liquid carbon daily or use CO2. Plus depending on the light and plants and if you use liquid carbon or CO2 you will need to look into dosing dry ferts which are much more economical than liquids and will give you a complete regime of macro and micro nutrients.

Something else to think about is the fact that many low light tolerant plants grow slowly and you might have problems down the road with algae. Another thing is that the higher the light the shorter the photoperiod on a tank is. I can only run my high lights 6 hours.

I would like to know what light you have as well. Im in the market for one preferably led.

What LED light did you buy exactly? And what is size tank with dimensions? If you indeed have a medium or high light LED then it's a waste to only do low light tolerant plants. Once you post what you have we can give you a list of plants you can use. Also you will need to either dose liquid carbon daily or use CO2. Plus depending on the light and plants and if you use liquid carbon or CO2 you will need to look into dosing dry ferts which are much more economical than liquids and will give you a complete regime of macro and micro nutrients.

I brought a green element led lighting Evo 24 model, my tank seize is 600mm long 400mm high and 310 wide and I have been using a co2 booster and I have been thinking of getting some leaf zone next week

I'm not familiar with this brand. It will give bright light but if you use any non green plants they will look washed out under this type lighting which IMO is more geared towards SW. That being said I would suggest using a liquid carbon or CO2 and a good fertilizing regime using dry ferts. You can do a lot of plants and with this light I wouldn't just limit myself to low light tolerant plants. There are a ton of plants, water sprite, wisteria, many rotala's and ludwigia's, hydro's, swords, crypts, tiger lotus, and on it goes. Try picking out a variety of plants that have different type leaf shapes and colors, plant your stem plants in groups so each type of plant grouping stands out from the ones by it, and you'll have a very nice looking tank.

I have been thinking of putting in a red lotus and a variegated lotus, there is a few more I would like to get but I don't know there name, I found my gavel is decaying my raised sections so now I have to replace it with substrate, I was going to replace it but now I have to do it sooner

Back
Top Bottom