Do I need co2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ficklewinds

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So in my tank so far is:

1 Java Fern and 2 Anubias attached to driftwood.
Water wisteria
2 crypts (unknown)
1 banana plant
2 anubias in substrate.

I'm going to add some anachris soon.

My lightning is a Current Satellite +. Tank is a 36 gallon bowfront. I'm considering getting a Finnex Planted + in the next month or so, but I actually really like the settings of the satellite +. Only reason I am thinking about the Finnex is because I have one a smaller tank and I like the brightness. I don't especially want to go to a higher light or anything.

Petsupermarket guy says I don't need to use liquid ferts or co2, but I want to do right by my plants. Is he right? I have been using Flourish once a week and put root tabs around the wisteria. So far, they seem to be doing fine, but would like them to grow a bit faster?

I am using a Current Satellite+ as well, and according to their guide turning up all the colors to the maximum setting is ideal for plant growth. I just installed it yesterday so I don't have a review of it yet. I have similar plants to you though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Grow a bit faster=CO2

Thise are mostly low light plants so I would say no you don't need C02 and Excel would be fine but CO2 will always help. How many fish do you have?

Right now I have no fish. I'll soon have 8 diamond tetras, 6 emperor tetras, and 6 dwarf rainbows.

I was thinking about getting this:

Amazon.com : EK DIY CO2 Aquarium Plant System : Aquarium Decor Plastic Plants : Pet Supplies

I am not a very good DIY-er and figured it would be easier than drilling holes and gluing...... I know I'll need a diffuser, but those seem cheap enough. What about a bubble counter?

Honestly just wondering if I need to go through all the hassle for my setup. I am happy with the Current + and don't plan on buying any plants that need higher light. I was thinking about a few Amazon swords, but not any time soon.

For those plants it will make them grow faster but not necessary at all. You can dose liquid ferts, glut, and root tabs.

Also good pick on the diamond tetras they are great ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422902260.328609.jpg

I love my fish!!!

Your Plants

Hello Fickle...

You have undemanding, low to moderate light plants. Your pet store person is right, you don't need to supplement the fertilizers the fish produce. Just get a reasonable number of hardy fish in the tank and feed them a balanced diet every day or two. A variety would be a little flaked, freeze dried and frozen foods. The fish will give the plants all the nutrients they need. If you want to add to the health of the tank in general, then change out half the water every few days to a week. Don't let water stay in the tank too long, it will lose it's ability to support the fish and plants.

B

I would dose glut 1.25-1.5 times as recommended until you get fish in there then .75-1 dosing.

IMO CO2 is not necessary. One thing you should consider is root supplements for the crypts. I have a low light shrimp tank with moss, crypts and a few other plants. Mebbid style root tablets every few months and water changes weekly. That's it and plants are doing fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My lightning is a Current Satellite +. Tank is a 36 gallon bowfront. I'm considering getting a Finnex Planted + in the next month or so,

With just the current Sat+ on a 21" tall tank (approx 18" from light to substrate), you're definitely cruising at low light so no co2 and very little ferts are needed. However, if you add the planted+ to work in tandem with the Sat+, then you'll be at moderate lighting in which co2 (or liquid carbon) and a better fertilizer regimen will be warranted. Good news is with that combo you'll also get to grow a whole lot of more light needy plant species. But if you're not ready for all that extra brightness, just stick with the Sat+.

Okay, thanks for your help guys! My husband will be happy to hear I'm not spending any more money on this tank at the moment, aside from fish.

I do however want another light I think, just because the tank just looks dark no matter what setting I put it on. Either another current sat + to go with the one I have or save up and get the current sat + pro version. Then again, the Finnex I have on my smaller tank is really nice. Either way, not an issue for the next month or so. I need to get fish before anything else and since I'm ordering online, they won't be cheap.

I'll continue with the root tabs and excel, with the occasional dose of flourish.

Thanks once again!

Back
Top Bottom