do I need CO2 (or anything else)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 gal moderately planted tank, currently home to 3 flame dwarfs, some oto cats, & hopes of adding a few Bolivian rams in the next week or so. For plants, I have two blehri, several bunches of anachris, two amazon sword bush-like things (at least that's what I'm told they are), two small anubus plants, & one mystery thing in the far right corner. Filtration is a AC30 & my light is a 15W GE Plant & Aquarium bulb. Ammonia & nitrite are 0ppm, nitrate is <20ppm, & pH is about 7.4-7.6.

img_1034947_0_dfba6f202af55308c747089ba253ec44.jpg
img_1034947_1_c353a763d4743774f646e3e720346613.jpg

The blehri and anubus are new, everything else had been doing surprisingly well for the last 6-8 months (considering I never added any plant supplements & the light is rather weak). I've just started adding API's Leaf Zone, so perhaps that will help but what else do I need?

Some sources seem to indicate that for a tank this small, I wouldn't need CO2 - true? Since the gourami labyrinth, I'm not sure whether the CO2 they produce, combined with that of the little from the bitty otos and whatever I may get from the rams would be sufficient.

Also, I know in terms of lighting I'm at the very low-end of low but can't find any other 24" plant bulbs. Do they need to be designed for plants & aquariums, or just greater wattage?

Regarding water changes, I typically do a 30% or more every 6-8 days but since the extra plants will need more nitrate, should I cut back on this? I want to take care of the plants but fear sacrificing the health of the fish.

A bunch of questions but any help is greatly appreciated!

As for the CO2, it's not necessary in your setup. If you decide to go with higher lighting, it could become necessary. Now, just because it's not necessary doesn't mean your plants won't benefit from having it.

Any light bulbs will work, but for the plants you want to aim in the 6700K to 10000K color spectrum. Most bulbs list their color rating, so as long as you're in that zone it should work out fine.

Your water change schedule is fine, I would stick with the system you're already doing.

For the plants I have, what wattage would you recommend? Should I try to get closer to the 2W/gal with a 30-40W or stay in the 20's?

Again, thanks!

Also, would the addition of peat media change anything, other than the pH? I'm thinking of using some as a buffer for the rams but wanted to know in advance.

your tank looks great so far!

you could try doing a DIY co2 pump. it's pretty fun and works great.

i got my info about it from here. i used a much smaller bottle and would totally recommend NOT doing that and sticking to the two litter.

Carbon Dioxide, yeast reactor.

Thanks for the advice on the CO2 pump & compliment. I'd looked at a few of those and it seems pretty easy & my boyfriend homebrews so there's a little extra expertise! What size tank do you have? I wouldn't have thought 2 liters would be needed for 20gal.

I'm still working out the kinks with my CO2 machine. I have a ten gallon tank and i used a vitamin water bottle, drilled a hole in the top, used a slice from my air pump hose and caulked it up.

My problem has been to keep a sustained flow. the small bottle only holds a little bit of sugar and water. if you use a two litter you could put a full cup of sugar and a lot more water. maybe throw a needle nose valve just to make sure you don't over do it once it gets going?

i'm still pretty new to all of this so if you come across anything or if anyone knows something please share!

good luck and let me know how it turns out. (also send me some of that homebrew!)

I was hoping to avoid needing that big of a bottle (mostly just for aesthetics and laziness) but it makes sense that more volume would be needed for sufficient reaction. One of the main points my boyfriend has made which counters most of the DIY advice is that the yeast isn't 'dead' after a month, just out of food - if you dump the water and add more sugar, those little yeasties should come back (in brewing, this is re-pitching). Is the throw-valve to prevent liquid solution from getting into the tank?

As for the homebrew, most of the setup has been dedicated to meade-making for the last several months (which won't be drinkable for a year) so the stash is running low. Thus, not much drinking & very little generosity:crazyeyes:

My plan is to remake my set up with a one liter bottle. I hide mine behind my Bioshock background and run the hose into my filter intake just to it dissolves as best as possible.

I've been adding a little bit more sugar to the soup once it slows down to less than a bubble a minute.

Like neil said though, you don't NEED it, but it will help plant growth out.

mead! sounds very cool, like you're going to go storm a castle.

So, running the hose into your filter gets it into the water & keeps the CO2 bubbles from just popping up to the surface (and being useless)? My next question was how to accomplish this. I have HOB so the water just pours out - would it still work?

Not yet sold on the idea of using CO2, likely wait awhile and see how things go. I'm debating on whether to up the wattage with a different bulb but don't want to mess up the balance (I think) I have. Is plant health like fish health, that by the time you notice a problem it's too late to do something? I'd rather wait and not add stuff until necessary, but don't want all my greenery to go brown.

As for the meade, I think the interest actually started after watching a movie in which the main characters repeatedly called for it (and the wenches who brought it). Sadly, it's going to be about a year until it's really drinkable - now it's essentially 5-gallons of fruity diesel!

Plants are much easier to bring back from ill health. Extra CO2 won't harm you're plants at all. If it gets really high you're fish will pass out and die, but that's really hard to do.

Yeah i put it in the intake so it gets mixed up and hopefully dissolves more. You also could check out flourish. It's a pretty popular and trusted supplement.

Opentip.com: Flourish Excel Co2 Plant Supplement 250ml

Thanks, I'd seen that stuff mentioned else where but will likely avoid as it's two things I don't want - expensive and likely to kill my anachris. Also saw on a cichlid forum that even when using 3/4 of the recommended dose, the keeper's fish became quite stressed almost immediately. Leaning towards the CO2 in a 2 liter bottle idea, but I'll give the current set up a while. How do you feed that into your intake? I have a HOB and don't know how to do that, short of drilling a hole in the lid.

i didn't really do anything that intense. i just ran the hose in my filters top and moved it down to the bottom where the intake fan is. the lid just kinda rests on top.

meade, brewed from honey?

I have the yeast from making bread. I had a nice reaction right off the bat cause used warm water.

Get a small terra cotta flower pot and turn it on it's side and place it in the tank (or use a shard of the pot). It will trap the CO2 and only bubble off after an hour or so (when the initial reaction dies off). It acts like a bell jar and helps the CO2 diffuse in the water.... at least that is my understand from what I have read.

reminds me I should fill mine up now that I have the right light for my tank.

That's a cool idea with the pot, thanks. I already have a little pot in my tank (can barely see it in the pix, it's supporting the driftwood on the right) as a cave but should I avoid using it? Sometimes a few of the otos hide in there & I would hate for them to get trapped with too much CO2! Does the wide opening need to be angled any particular way (down towards the gravel) or just lay the pot on it's side? Also, do you re-pitch your yeast or start over?

As for the meade, yep, made with honey. Broke this last batch up into 5 1-gal batches & used different fruits - hope I can put up with him long enough to try it in a year :drinking:

*LOL* know what you mean about the year.

I just have a shard that is about level with the gravel, and have the hose run into there. The bubble just seems to collect there when the gas flow reaches a steady state.

Back
Top Bottom