Do i need fertilizer???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debomb4u

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm wondering if i need to buy some kind of fertilizer for my plants to stay healthy. I know theres so many different options out there but i narrowed my choices down if getting one is a must. Like maybe Flora plus pride or one of the starter kits or Applus flora boost.

By the way i'm running my plants on indirect natural sunlight... no problems with algae or overheating. And my plants are green and HUGE!

It would depend.. you usually dont start ferts untill your plants drop your nitrate level down to zero.. what is your nitrate level?

Simply put, plants need 3 macro nutrients to grow (C, N, &K). To stay healthy they also need a variety trace elements. The amount of nutrients they require is totally dependent on the amount of light. The more light, the more likely you will have dose ferts.

The danger in random fertilizing of your tank is this........... If you create a nutrient imbalance, it's likely to only grow algae. Therefore, if your plants are huge and green, and not showing signs of stress, I'd leave well enough alone. Let your plants tell you when they need help. JMO :wink:

Is this tank outdoors? I ask because unless its directly next to a south facing window, I don't see it getting much 'direct sunlight'.

If indeed it does get lots of direct sunlight, you'll most likely tear through nutrients. Therefore, the ONLY way you can dose ferts is if you test for nitrate and phosphate, and KNOW that you're low and need some. Potassium, just dose 10-15ppm once or twice a week.

Also with direct sunlight, you're gonna wanna inject CO2, or else carbon will be your limiting nutrient.

Its not direct sunlight its indirect sunlight.... my tank is inside between a east facing window and a south facing window so it gets slightly lite up for most of the day... not bright but where you can see inside.

I hav'nt done a recent nitrate test but i will this weekend... i do all my maintence on the weekend.

So i think i'll get the tetra flora plus pride

I'd be very leery of adding any fertilizer to your tank. From the looks of your stocking levels there should be plenty of nutrients within the tank. For a low light non CO2 injected tank I rarely ever add any type of fertilizer and I run very light stocking levels. Considering how heavy your load is I can't imagine you'd need to add additional fertilizer. Like Brian mention, if you are currently having success, don't change anything. Author Diana Walstad has great success using some indirect sunlight to run her low light tanks. The biggest problem is whether you can sustain long term success with the inconsistent amount of light that changes throughout the year. It is certainly possible to do, but it can be quite a challenge long term.

When I first planted my tank, I had no idea about the NO3 levels dropping so quickly and actually started a thread because when I tested, I got a result of <5ppm. I haven't needed ferts as yet due to the fact that I've never tested 0ppm and plants appear healthy.

Indirect sunlight is basically useless to plants. So you cannot really count any of that towards lighting.

I personally thought that most people that used sunlight as a light source, like in front of a south facing window, supplemented the lighting to get good results.. :?: :?: :?:

The tank gets lite up just fine and when its cloudy out theres still enough light to see in the tank. The east facing window is really big and long... the southwest is good size too. They've been growing fine now for 3-4 weeks but my lillys still have not sprouted.

Tomorrow i'll do a test :)

I dont want to criticize but just make an observation ok?
Just being able to see into the tank is woefully inadiquit lighting for even low light level plants.. I hope the light is blinding, you would need sunglasses to do your maintanace between 10am-4pm, in the tank when the sun is out.. For your sake.

Decided to do a test tonight... nitrate was at 20

I'll post a pic showing my plants maybe tomorrow

And i guess i'll leave my blinds open when i go to bed since i get up late and the best sunlight is early in the morning since it takes awhile for the light to get to the other window.

Is it bad to let the plant leaves grow on the surface? The leaves are huge and since i have a 10 gal the stem stops about half the way up to the surface. I think it looks cool with some leaves at the top. :mrgreen:

When i look at my tank i usually have my flourescent bulb... its a compact 23w you may ask why i dont just use that instead of the sun... well i guess my parents think its useless for me to use a light when i have light coming in from 2 windows. :roll:

The plants may need more light like from a bulb or more.. Time will tell.. And I personally think having some of the plant growing out of the water will make it less demanding.. ie.. the plant will be able to get the CO2 it needs from the air as well and O2 at night.. do you have some plants that stay completely submerged?

They are not out of the water just growing at the surface now... the plants that i have are in my sig. And i know they stay under the water execept when the lilly is blooming... then the flower will be out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom