Do I need root tabs with these plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best advice I feel comfortable offering, is to start low and work your way higher to meet plant needs. If growth is slow, add enough until you start seeing algae, then back it off a little. As plant mass increases, slowly start increasing dosages, until you see algae, then back off again etc etc.
Okay ty considering I only have about 38,-40 gallons of water in a 55 (2.5-3"gravel bed +Texas holey rock + driftwood takes up water volume) I'll give you an example with the flourish comprehensive (less superior than thrive) if I did 2x 5ml I got algae, if I did 7ml I got a little bit not bad, I do have a little bit in the tank right now but that could be because im not on a schedule with my lighting as I have agoraphobia so there's days where I can't push myself to leave my room to go downstairs so the light sometimes stays on for 36-48 hours, I need to get a ramp timer for the light so I can fix that or beat myself up and leave my room lmao, I will start out with 2 pumps per week see if I get algae if not I will go 2 pumps x 2 times weekly and adjust from there like you said, I just have to be more strict with the lighting as well too actually know if its the ferts or the light schedule causing the algae, ty for the reply.

Okay ty considering I only have about 38,-40 gallons of water in a 55 (2.5-3"gravel bed +Texas holey rock + driftwood takes up water volume) I'll give you an example with the flourish comprehensive (less superior than thrive) if I did 2x 5ml I got algae, if I did 7ml I got a little bit not bad, I do have a little bit in the tank right now but that could be because im not on a schedule with my lighting as I have agoraphobia so there's days where I can't push myself to leave my room to go downstairs so the light sometimes stays on for 36-48 hours, I need to get a ramp timer for the light so I can fix that or beat myself up and leave my room lmao, I will start out with 2 pumps per week see if I get algae if not I will go 2 pumps x 2 times weekly and adjust from there like you said, I just have to be more strict with the lighting as well too actually know if its the ferts or the light schedule causing the algae, ty for the reply.

The issue with algae, without going into crazy discussion here, is more than just lights/ferts.

It's a balance of light / fertilizer / CO2 / plant mass. With more then enough, or less than enough of each variable, algae will have a window to grow.

In your situation, you could limit fertilizer dosing, but that may limit plant growth, without proper plant growth, eventually the algae will catch up. But, with too much fertilizer, the plants won't use it all, which leaves plenty available for algae. If you don't dose at all, algae will always find a way to live.

But, in that same scenario, light drives photosynthesis which is the root. Higher light = more efficient photosynthesis = more need for CO2/nutrients.

Less light = less photosynthesis = less need for CO2/nutrients.

Once you find the balance, it is much easier to keep algae under control.

The issue with algae, without going into crazy discussion here, is more than just lights/ferts.

It's a balance of light / fertilizer / CO2 / plant mass. With more then enough, or less than enough of each variable, algae will have a window to grow.

In your situation, you could limit fertilizer dosing, but that may limit plant growth, without proper plant growth, eventually the algae will catch up. But, with too much fertilizer, the plants won't use it all, which leaves plenty available for algae. If you don't dose at all, algae will always find a way to live.

But, in that same scenario, light drives photosynthesis which is the root. Higher light = more efficient photosynthesis = more need for CO2/nutrients.

Less light = less photosynthesis = less need for CO2/nutrients.

Once you find the balance, it is much easier to keep algae under control.
I'll be able to figure it out once I start it and read more, do you know of any books online or books I can buy so I can understand plants/ferts/lighting/photosynthesis better?

Your best bet it to search for threads with good discussion. What I would do is go to google scholar, and search photosynthetic pathways. I’ve gone through university learning about it, and I still understand only a fraction of what’s out there.

Look up nutrient availability charts, deficiency signs and symptoms, nitrogen cycle, carbon cycle and the forms at which nutrients are/aren’t available for plants (also what nutrients are soluble (plant available) and which nutrients are mobile within a plant)

Your best bet it to search for threads with good discussion. What I would do is go to google scholar, and search photosynthetic pathways. I’ve gone through university learning about it, and I still understand only a fraction of what’s out there.

Look up nutrient availability charts, deficiency signs and symptoms, nitrogen cycle, carbon cycle and the forms at which nutrients are/aren’t available for plants (also what nutrients are soluble (plant available) and which nutrients are mobile within a plant)

I agree with ZxC. It may be worth renting a biology textbook if you want to get into the intricate details such as the Calvin Cycle of photosynthesis. I found these videos on YouTube. They may help some.

I agree with ZxC. It may be worth renting a biology textbook if you want to get into the intricate details such as the Calvin Cycle of photosynthesis. I found these videos on YouTube. They may help some.

That's awesome bud much appreciated, I just got done doing my pwc and eating dinner, was actually just sitting down to Google some things, every in looking for is how people get the % of a specific nutrient in a product, I mean are they measured out? Weighed? Etc etc.

Yesssss tyvm that last video had what I was looking for because I will be switching to dry ferts and needed to know how to weigh out and measure the dry to get the % needed for weekly dosing http://rotalabutterfly.com

Back
Top Bottom