Do i need to dose anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuck

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently my ferns have been looking 'tired'? For lack of a better word, they just don't seem as bright and full of life as they did, also the flower I had on my anubias has died off. (Not sure if this means anything)
My tank is a 15g and has;

4x java ferns
1x anubias
2x marimo moss ball

2x golden honey gourami
3x harlequin rasborough
6x neon tetra
2x male guppy
8x RCS

1x internal filter
1x 100w heater
1x bubble curtain
1x 18" lighting fixture.

My question is do I need to add anything to help my plants? I've heard a rumour that standard multi vitamins are good but there's no way of throw one into my tank lol. I always hear people talking about co2,root tabs,flourish excel etc. but they always have like 200x the plants I do. Also the guy at the lfs (yeah I know they don't know their fish from their snails) but anyway they said I should be adding co2 and needed more nitrogen because my fish don't produce enough waste?. However he also said I should upgrade my lighting but I did research my plants before I brought them to ensure they are low light plants (I asked around on here for suggestions as well) so I know I don't need extra lighting.

Try using Seachem Flourish Comprehensive. It's basically micro-nutrients in solution. If those are your only plants then you're pretty much set. You have enough fauna for CO2 and nitrogen purposes IMO. No need for tabs either.

Try using Seachem Flourish Comprehensive. It's basically micro-nutrients in solution. If those are your only plants then you're pretty much set. You have enough fauna for CO2 and nitrogen purposes IMO. No need for tabs either.

Ok I did a quick search and this is what I found.
Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 250 L (60 gallons) once or twice a week. For smaller doses, please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL. Refrigeration after opening is recommended but not required.

So if be dropping 1ml twice a week or 2ml once a week? Also it said it contained copper? Is it shrimp safe? (Dumb question?)

Totally shrimp safe. I have plenty RCS in my 55. I dose 1 capful 2x week. So a bottle should last you a LONG time for a 15 gallon. In your case 1 ml once or twice a week should be plenty.

The minuscule amount of copper in micro mixes iw perfectly safe and shrimp actually need a small amount of copper the same way humans need alittle iron. You don't need CO2 but using a liquid carbon daily will help your plants utilize the available light better. I have 2 low light tanks with only a few plants like yours and they do great with daily liquid carbon such as Excel and ferts dosed 1x week after WC's.

Totally shrimp safe. I have plenty RCS in my 55. I dose 1 capful 2x week. So a bottle should last you a LONG time for a 15 gallon. In your case 1 ml once or twice a week should be plenty.

Ok thanks very much :) I'll get on amazon/eBay later.

The minuscule amount of copper in micro mixes iw perfectly safe and shrimp actually need a small amount of copper the same way humans need alittle iron. You don't need CO2 but using a liquid carbon daily will help your plants utilize the available light better. I have 2 low light tanks with only a few plants like yours and they do great with daily liquid carbon such as Excel and ferts dosed 1x week after WC's.

I have a small amount of carbon that I put in my filter, should I take that out a dose liquid instead?

Seachem flourish is amazing i've used it and my plants r thriving +1 on that :)

Seachem flourish is amazing i've used it and my plants r thriving +1 on that :)

Good good :) everything I'm reading seems positive, not found any horror stories yet haha!!

Ok thanks very much :) I'll get on amazon/eBay later.

I have a small amount of carbon that I put in my filter, should I take that out a dose liquid instead?

Carbon in your filter is not the same as liquid carbon which is glutaraldehyde. Glut is a form of liquid carbon that plants can use during photosynthesis. They are totally different things. When CO2 isn't used in a planted tank often a liquid carbon such as Excel, API CO2 Booster, or Metricide 14 day solution is used.

Carbon in your filter is not the same as liquid carbon which is glutaraldehyde. Glut is a form of liquid carbon that plants can use during photosynthesis. They are totally different things. When CO2 isn't used in a planted tank often a liquid carbon such as Excel, API CO2 Booster, or Metricide 14 day solution is used.

Ok so I need flourish and excel? Or just flourish? :p

You need Flourish Comprehensive as it is a fertilizer and IMO you should also get and use Flourish Excel daily as it is a liquid carbon and will help increase photosynthesis and growth, it is not a fertilizer. So you need both.

You need Flourish Comprehensive as it is a fertilizer and IMO you should also get and use Flourish Excel daily as it is a liquid carbon and will help increase photosynthesis and growth, it is not a fertilizer. So you need both.

Okie dokie I'll order them this weekend, or buy them at the lfs if they have it think I'm gonna pick up a couple more fish anyway.

Back
Top Bottom