Do I really need T5HO????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyDaughtersKeeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Starting a 125 that is 23 inches tall. A little confused about the lightging, but I think I've got figured out, but I would like some input from experienced folks like yourselves. Through reading this is what I've gathered for my tank....No leds, T5no will work but only with low to medium light and T5HO is ideal, but not a must and could potentially be too much depending on where they are mounted. FYI, mine will be on top the tank. Is that about right? and any lighting suggestions. Love LED if some can tell me they work.:D

T5HO lights are a good idea. What type of substrate is in the tank now? I'd recommend canister filters. 2 large Rena XPs should be enough. If your going for high light you will either want to go with pressurized co2 with either a 5 or 20 pound tank depending on room, or liquid carbon. You can get plenty glute solution from Amazon for the carbon. For fertilizers, that size tank will require dry ferts that can be mixed into a liquid. The green fert pack from Green Leaf Aquariums is where I get mine from. They also sell the dosing bottles on the same site. Each of these things require a bit of knowledge to use. Reading through the stickies at the top of the planted tank thread will help you out a lot.

Don't worry about not using a sump. They're a pain with live plants anyway.

Starting a 125 that is 23 inches tall. A little confused about the lightging, but I think I've got figured out, but I would like some input from experienced folks like yourselves. Through reading this is what I've gathered for my tank....No leds, T5no will work but only with low to medium light and T5HO is ideal, but not a must and could potentially be too much depending on where they are mounted. FYI, mine will be on top the tank. Is that about right? and any lighting suggestions. Love LED if some can tell me they work.:D

If you want t5ho you basically need to get co2 dosing liquid carb on or excel will cost a fortune in a tank that size. If you go with the ho and no co2 it will most likely be an unbalanced algae nightmare.

To decide what lights you want I would start by deciding if I want heavily planted and high tech with some high demands plants or simple low tech no co2 set up.

Thank you guys for the help. I think at this point due to the size of the tank and additional funds needed I'm going to have to stick to fish only. I think I will turn my 20 into a planted and learn with that.

That's a great idea. I started with larger planted tanks and they really aren't difficult. I also have a 20 that's planted. As far as co2 or liquid carbon, there's a very cheap product on Amazon that you could use to save a ton of money there. I use it in my tanks. If you're really going to do a planted 20 I could post a link to it once I get on my PC.

You don't need to much for a 20. Almost any filter can work that's suitable for that size tank. Most small grained smooth substrates can grow plants with the help of root tabs. Plant substrates help but many people use pool filter sand or other hardware store products and have amazing tanks. Dry ferts are still going to save you money and work beautifully.

A lot of people here have build threads for their tanks. I have one for me 20 that you can get to from my profile if you care to take a look.

Back
Top Bottom