Do not use brass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcarl_10gal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some people decide to take the brass route when building there reactors. Brass is known to be corrosive and can break down. Some people say they use brass pieces on their DIY Reactors and do not have issues. I saw some black residue in the CO2 line behind the tank and decided to come up with a non brass alternative to replace it. After replacing it I took the brass piece apart and my fears were confirmed. Brass was breaking down and possibly releasing hazardous metals (Copper, Zinc) into the water. Just don't do it folks, no matter what they say.
img_3314753_0_c3924a51018118a9f55c2274c9ff911b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The cotton swab was the residue from the inside of the barbed fitting.

That could be filter crap?? Is the inside showing corrosion, pitting?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, filter crap is a brown-reddish. This is a shinny gold-yellow. Almost like a dark dark gold.

I don't think a similar plastic barb even exists. I got a threaded PVC plug, drilled a hole smaller than the OD of the CO2 tube and pulled it through with pliers. A little dab of silicon on the outside for extra insurance. So far so good.

I do think this problem was exaggerated by having direct contact with the Co2. Most likely would have held up more if it was being used to connect the hoses from the canister.

Back
Top Bottom