Do plants benefit from powerheads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 100 gallon planted tank. I am wondering if CO2 would be better distributed within the tank if a power head was involved or if it is a mute point as if the CO2 is properly injected than anywhere within the tank with water has CO2 in it?

End game is this tank is for Discus and all my readings have indicate that Discus don't like a lot of water flow so I've kind of held off with power heads because of this BUT I'm wondering if the plants at the bottom get enough CO2 that possibly a power head would help with by circulating the water more efficiently. Thanks for any thought.

I have a friend in FL that is big into Discus and he just switched over to dispersing CO2 via a powerhead in his 135g discus tank and it's not causing any problems. I have a 220g angelfish tank and use two powerheads for my CO2.

Rivercats, are angelfish known to not like current? I'm just curious, and if so what type of power heads are you using as to achieve a soft current?

My theory in my planted discus tank is to use underrated 500 gph my 100 gallon tank... That way I do get some movement although its very little. I have yet to test my theory so I hope I'm not throwing away $30 but it seems this hobby necessitates trial and error :)

Rivercats, are angelfish known to not like current? I'm just curious, and if so what type of power heads are you using as to achieve a soft current?

My theory in my planted discus tank is to use underrated 500 gph my 100 gallon tank... That way I do get some movement although its very little. I have yet to test my theory so I hope I'm not throwing away $30 but it seems this hobby necessitates trial and error :)

I use Koralia Nano 240's in my 220g and they IMO give me just the right amount of extra current to avoid dead spots.

Back
Top Bottom