Do plants need fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacit Blues

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Kind of backwards from what it seems the question usually is, but I can't find the answer. Obviously, plants don't need fish, but does it require more effort to keep aquarium plants without any fish--having to add more fertilizers and such? Is there a minimum amount of fish for optimum plant growth?

This is just a general question I was wondering about, not anything specific, but I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

It is easier to keep plants happy with fish. I don't know of a general rule of thumb, itd just depend on how many plants and how many fish, how much light, etc. Ideally you'd want enough fish to keep a slight reading of nitrates in the tank at all times.

If you "overstocked" on plants relative to fish, though, you're not going to starve the plants? At least keeping things somewhat short term?

You might, it just depends on how much you feed, how much light and co2 the plants have to work with. Several factors play into it.

I do know that plants can stunt also if they run out of nutrients, or start showing deficiencies.

Back
Top Bottom