Do plants rob oxygen from the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

avonsurfernc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was told that Goldfish require and favor a highly oxygenated tank. This being said , do my live plants rob them of this precious element? Any help would be appreciated?

When the lights are on they will produce oxygen and use carbon dioxide, however when the lights are off they do use oxygen and in highly planted tanks (or tanks with greenwater algae) it is possible to create dangerously low oxygen levels at night. Any goldfish tank should have air stones run by strong air pumps. This alone will prevent any problems.

If your filters cause a lot of flow at the top of your tank you should be okay. Air stones are always a good option but can effect your CO2 levels that some plants require

I always heavily aerate any tanks, this can save your entire stock of fish one day. I have had goldfish in planted tanks many times and both do very well. Don't worry about lack of carbon dioxide.

I personally keep fish tanks, not plant tanks. Any decision is made in favor of the fish, not the plants. So I would not choose keeping carbon dioxide in the tank and not aerating well because this favors the plants in spite of the fish.

Thanks for your replies and advice. Yes , I do have air stones along with splashing from the filters dropping recirculated water . I do not have algae or CO2 .

When the lights are on they will produce oxygen and use carbon dioxide, however when the lights are off they do use oxygen and in highly planted tanks (or tanks with greenwater algae) it is possible to create dangerously low oxygen levels at night. Any goldfish tank should have air stones run by strong air pumps. This alone will prevent any problems.

Couldn't have said it better myself; was about to post a big paragraph from the photosynthesis chapter in my bio book.

So that being said, are my airstones sufficient? I feel I may have too many plants I have about 10 different plant varieties 6 large Ranchu each being 5-6 inches in a 45 gallon corner tank. Any science experts here? That is some frog bro.

Fishguy my air pump is active aqua AAPA 3.2L and I have a moonlight bubbler too. Your Reef tank is unreal....love the photos. Reinforces my belief in a higher power for sure. The creations are too perfect to exist by chance. I will get some pictures posted soon

Back
Top Bottom