do you have to tie java fern to a driftwood or rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lamthuyduong

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do you really have to tie the java fern to a piece of driftwood or rock. Can you let it sit on top of the substrate? I just bought a java fern and right now, it's sitting on top of my substrate. It's doesn't float to the top. Is this okay?

You can let them sit on the substrate. But once you let it sit there for say six months or so you will have a huge surprise coming if you move it.

Yep- it'll latch onto every bit of gravel there and will pull up a wad about the same size as the plant itself. It's just tidier to tie it to an object - a rock, driftwood, a cheezy PetsMart ornament, whatever. Just don't bury it and the plant will be fine.

haha...funny store: the 'blob' of java fern that's currently recovering in my new 10gal was brought from a local store that simply stuck it in the substrate. every now and then i'll still get a piece of their rust/red colored gravel to fall off the java fern roots and onto the eco-complete...and i got the plant 6 months ago!

Back
Top Bottom