Do you sterilize new plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read dozens of articles and forum posts on all sorts of websites dating back to 2005 trying to get an answer.

Do you need to sterilize new plants before planting them in your fish tank? (To get rid of possible ich, diseases, snails, etc.).

I've read you can use Jungle Clear Water (potassium permanganate) or a 5% bleach solution. I've also read many people just rinse new live plants under warm water and call it good, or soak them in regular tap water for 15 minutes. Shoot, I was planning on just opening the package from the mail, trimming/preparing each plant, and put them immediately in my established fish tank.

What do you do? Have you had any fish deaths from buying live plants?

(I plan on buying my plants from ExtraPlant and eBay (good reviews)).

Regardless of where plants come from I always soak them for 20 minutes in a 1:3 or 4 ratio of hydrogen peroxide 3% to water. It will kill most unwanted pests such as algae, snails and eggs, and other nasty hitch hikers you don't want to introduce into your tank.

I also soak mine in peroxide and water, I am not about to have 6382838372622727 pond snails.

Regardless of where plants come from I always soak them for 20 minutes in a 1:3 or 4 ratio of hydrogen peroxide 3% to water. It will kill most unwanted pests such as algae, snails and eggs, and other nasty hitch hikers you don't want to introduce into your tank.

That sounds much easier, considering I have some of that already.

Will this kill ich, diseases, parasites, the stuff that isn't just annoying but can kill fish?

I used to do nothing, then my tank got pond snails. I don't think I'll ever be able to completely rid my tank of pond snails. That used to frustrate me, now it don't mind them so much because the population is under control with a team of assassin snails.

So, lesson learned. Now I rinse my plants in warm water and check them over the best I can. It may not be enough to get rid of snails (or whatever else might be hitching a ride) but at least I'm doing something.

Honestly I can't say 100% for certain it kills ich but I have never had my fish get ich after adding new plants so... ?

I have a bunch of plants arriving later this week and have the same question.

Aquariumplants.com mentions Potassium Permanganate, Bleach or Alum.
Aquarium planting tips and care
I like the Hydrogen Peroxide idea, I've heard of that before, too.
Not sure what I'm going to do, either?

Want these plants as disease/hitchhiker free as possible without killing them in the process:lol:

Let us know what you end up doing & how it works out(y)

Yup this is the best and easiest way. I do it too unless I really want snails!

Sorry, no matter what they say about using bleach. "Ain't no way" IMO Not when Pott. Permangenate and H2O2 are available and safer. OS.

Some people still use a weak bleach solution but many plants don't tolerate even tiny amounts well at all.

Back
Top Bottom