does acidic water have more co2 in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
So Im wondering if acidic water naturally has more co2 for plants in it? My theory is based on this chart where lower PH seems to not need CO2 injected into the tank. Am I correct with this assumption?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-02-03 at 9.46.43 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-02-03 at 9.46.43 PM.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 52
While CO2 can make water acidic, it tends to be slight. Organic's, low buffers and or other minerals in water can affect pH.

As I understand this from another forum, (someone correct me if I'm wrong) pH can be lowered 2 ways: through CO2 injection or through buffering water. By injecting CO2 it will have little affect on fish sort of speak because you haven't changed the chemical make-up of water. Through buffering, RO units (etc), your changing the chemical make-up of water which can affect fish, but doesn't mean that CO2 was added or increased. Hope I got that right.

Correct- using that chart is a rudimentary way to measure CO2 that assumes there are no other abnormal buffers (or lack of normal buffers) to effect pH. A better way to use the same principal is to use a drop checker and a known reference solution (usually 4d KH) to help determine CO2 concentration.

Fort, could you elaborate on what would be a good drop checker? I am using an API test kit. I'm assuming there's something better for me to be testing with. Can you or someone please let me know what I can use? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom