Does anyone have a java moss carpet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
Let me rephrase. Does anyone have a java moss carpet that doesn't look like poo? :lol:

Jokes aside, I've been toying around with the idea since I always have tons of java moss, so I have youtubed around a bit and it looks like every thing I've found relating to java moss carpets just looks horrid at best.

The 'sandwich the moss between two pieces of mesh canvas' idea works in theory, but moss is such a slow grower and so directionally random that it just never seems to look quite right unless it's had months if not years to really fill out.

I'm going to give it a go since I have the materials, attempting a layering technique with superglue to (hopefully) make a thick carpet.

I'll keep you guys updated.

I've always seen people try to suggest it to counter the idea of not needing CO2 for a carpet, but I have yet to see a decent execution of it, or at least not using Java moss. Other moss species, namely those the branch and grow bushier, would be a much better choice.

EDIT: I take back what I said about never having seen one. I have seen them before, but in decent light, CO2 infused tanks. So, there's that.

I still recommend against Java moss. Christmas moss an peacock moss are both nicer mosses, IMO. Then there's always fissidens, which is a nice looking plant.

The thing is I have a basketball size clump of java moss and none of the others currently, lol. I would like to do one with flame moss though.

I need to get ahold of you in spring once it's safe to ship plants up here again. I'll have a need for a good amount of java moss in my new tank plan if you'll sell some.

I've seen moss used to cover the back incline of a tank, it looked nice to me as a mound, but was a patch about 8x10 inches. It didn't look as refined and cut down as an actual moss carpet like some do. It was of course very thick and unruly.

Here it is.

img_2167783_0_1a41d8aead2637641b9527f52b5ce7d8.jpg

That looks nicer than I thought it would. Good job.

I have some tied to rocks in my 5.5 gallon tank and it isn't bad. It's still a newish setup so I'll have to wait to see how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom