Does anyone know what this is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmm226

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Found this worm in my planted tank while feeding my catfish and shrimp. Can someone please tell me what it is.

Attachments

• IMAG0220.jpg
    IMAG0220.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 155
Will it sting me if I push down my moss mat. Will Indian dwarf puffers eat it if they see it.

The only thing I can think of is that they come from eggs on my plants. from what I've read they're harmless I just don't want it stinging me when I trim my iwagumi.

Attachments

• IMAG0152.jpg
    IMAG0152.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 109
Looks like a detritus worm. Can't give you a scientific classification but I've had one in a planted tank years ago. I did some research when I found one and it seems they're a species of freshwater worm that lives on excess detritus in the aquarium. From what I've read they are perfectly fine and actually aid in the break down of detritus and only become a problem when there's a serious infestation. Apparently if there is an extreme amount of detritus in the tank you can see many of them with their end poking vertically out of the substrate. Eggs probably did come on a plant.

Looks like a detritus worm. Can't give you a scientific classification but I've had one in a planted tank years ago. I did some research when I found one and it seems they're a species of freshwater worm that lives on excess detritus in the aquarium. From what I've read they are perfectly fine and actually aid in the break down of detritus and only become a problem when there's a serious infestation. Apparently if there is an extreme amount of detritus in the tank you can see many of them with their end poking vertically out of the substrate. Eggs probably did come on a plant.

thats one BIG detritus worm lol

Could it be a large leech? Not all leeches drink blood, and some do live off debri and algae. It does look like it has those little crawlies so Im pretty sure the first poster was right. Can you just pick it out with tweezers?

Nice tank

thats one BIG detritus worm lol

Could it be a large leech? Not all leeches drink blood, and some do live off debri and algae. It does look like it has those little crawlies so Im pretty sure the first poster was right. Can you just pick it out with tweezers?

Nice tank

Detritus worms are not a single species of worm it's a general term. The terms detritus worm includes black worms and tubifex which can get large.

Back
Top Bottom