Does dwarf hairgrass or hairgrass grow wild?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterpenguin4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This might seem like a dumb question but I have seen what looks like hairgrass and dwarf hairgrass in local pond and in wetlands behind me house here in Florida. So I was wondering if it does grow wild.

Yes it does, but I believe the specific species of hair grass that we are used to seeing in the hobby have mostly come from southeast Asia.

Last edited:
I think that most of the eleocharis sp. that we use can be found around the states, including parvula and acicularis. That being said, there are probably a dozen or more species found throughout the US, many of which will get quite large indeed.

Huh, I was under the impression that it was initially imported from Asia.

Well your replies contradict eachother but if it can be found here in the states that would be great!

Well if it eleocharis parvula. Could i put it in my tank? Thats what I already have.

Yes, you could - just be aware that there could be toxins/pesticides/etc in plants collected from the wild. The risk is low, but it is there.

Yes and there is 30-40 different species of hairgrass and dwarf hairgrass so the chances of it being parvula i would think would be slim, even if i knew how to differentiate it against the other 39 species.

Back
Top Bottom