Does this look healthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I threw in some Alternanthera reineckii and got mad because it didn't want to establish so I put it in the back of the tank and ignored it for a few weeks. Surprisingly enough, it finally established itself and started growing. I was in shock. I added new driftwood to my tank and moved it to the front where I can monitor it because I really like it.

75g planted tank
Finnex planted plus
Weekly water change
PPS Pro dry ferts
Pressurized co2

Does it look healthy? I'm not an expert on purple/red plants.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429484103.122253.jpg

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Not really. Optimally they should be a bright red rather than the brownish color they appear to be.

This is a plant that many many people (myself included) just have no luck with.

Not really. Optimally they should be a bright red rather than the brownish color they appear to be.

This is a plant that many many people (myself included) just have no luck with.

Would dosing extra iron help?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Keep it, I think it looks fine. Mine's doing the wavy leaf thing too, but worse than yours. Mine is bright red, though. I'm thinking it's a potassium and/or phosphorus issue.. I'm working on it.

Yours could color up with more light, or it could possibly be a different variety that does not show as much red no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Keep it, I think it looks fine. Mine's doing the wavy leaf thing too, but worse than yours. Mine is bright red, though. I'm thinking it's a potassium and/or phosphorus issue.. I'm working on it.

Yours could color up with more light, or it could possibly be a different variety that does not show as much red no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm honestly not sure. The underside of the leaves are bright pink though.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I've done some digging on ThePlantedTank...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429714747.493377.jpg

Haven't tried root tabs on it. Going to start tonight and see how it reacts to it. Also check my bottom leaves for signs on how to improve its health. Don't need anymore light I have enough algae to compete with.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Root tabs will benefit most all plants. My ar certainly appreciates added substrate nutrition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I forgot to add that I didn't just impulse but this. It was labeled at "Cardinalis". Me thinking it was the other Cardinal plant. Oh well I like a challenge.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Tissue culture from petsmart?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

15pAKAE.jpg

Mine's from petsmart, too. (y) This photo is from a couple weeks ago, now there are some dark discolored spots and curled leaves showing up. Good call on the root tabs Brookster. I just realized that the nearby swords' roots are probably out-competing the a.r. for nutrients. I've been wanting to pull out the swords anyway and replace them with something that won't exhaust the substrate so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom