Dose During Blackout?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travis74

Aquarium Advice Activist
With what I suspect is a bacteria bloom moving rapidly to greenwater I went to a blackout today. In order to aid the process I put Carbon pack into the xp2. I will be doing 40% water changes for the next four days. Is there any reason to dose my ferts during this process?

Change 50% plus before and 50% plus afterwards. Do not do anything while it is covered. Remove any CO2 and you may want to add an airstone to up the O2 levels.

You won't be helping the blackout any by removing the covers to do PWC's. You only do a 50-75% before and 50-75% after. Then all your parameters will be set, and you can begin your normal dosing routine, and make any corrections if you know what you may have done wront before the blackout.

That's a big help. I can't wait to get through this and some rams. Wasn't sure what the pwc were going to do for me, but it was a recommendation. Thanks for clarifying.

The water changes will also remove all of the dead algae in the tank once the blackout is done. All that dying algae could cause an ammonia spike.

Back
Top Bottom