Dosing Iron + Other Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,
I have recieved this little 1oz bottle of 'Plant Gro' Iron enriched fertilizer. It's by Nutrafin. It says 1 capful (5 mL) per 10 gallons gives .3mg/l of iron. My question is, how often should I do this?
My tank:
20gal L, DIY CO2, 18watts ( :oops: heh), Silica Sand substrate, 1 Peppered Cory (in the process of getting more), 4 fancy guppies, 3 Ghost Shrimp, Mystery Snail
Plants:
Wisteria, Saggitaria, java moss&fern.
Also there is this strange white substance that builds up on the outlet of my co2, it is a white jelly-like substance. I think it may have something to do with the strange buildup on the water's surface.
SO! In a nutshell:
- How much should I dose this iron, if at all?
- What is this strange white substance?
- Is this brown algae 'diatoms'? What fish will eat algae/diatoms w/o damaging my plants?
- Do goodeids eat plants? Xenotaca Eiseni fwiw.

ANY help/criticism is appreciated! Thanks guys.

With how little light you have, you may not need to add iron at all. Every tank is different and has different requirements. But I would suggest starting with ¼ - ½ capful 1 time per week. Or else not at all and see if your plants show signs of iron defficiency.

Don't know about the white stuff.

Ottos will eat diatoms. Diatoms usually go away by themselves after a while.

If the brown algae is easily brushed off and in a newly setup (or a tank that has recently had a major tear down and setup) you are dealing with diatoms. Give it a few weeks and it should clear on its own.

The white stuff on your CO2 outlet is a little bit of the CO2 mix that has escaped the bottle and made its way into your tank. It's harmless if a bit unsightly. If you want to prevent it in the future, you're best bet is to add a gas separator bottle between the CO2 bottle and the tank.

Back
Top Bottom