Dosing Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Everyone,

My Rex Griggs dry ferts just got here a few minutes ago(Thanks Rex). Now...time to figure out dosing for my 29g tank(I may decide to dose my 20g tank as well at a later time). I now have KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4, Plantex CSM+B.

What are the desired levels for each? What dose should I use to get to these levels? How often do I dose?

I saw a thread a while back where it looks like most people prefer to premix their ferts before adding them to the tank. I think I'd like to do so as well. How much of each chemical should I add to some water to dose the tank?

Thanks guys. Rex did send a sheet with information on dosing, I'd just like some other opinions as well.

There are many dosing strategies that you can follow, it's all a matter of picking one that fits both your style of care and the needs of your aquarium. One of the more popular methods that many of us are using is Estimative Index (EI) which involves very little testing, just dosing a set amount and then using a large water change to reset the parameters.

I recommend that you use Chuck's Calculator and czcz CSM+B calculator to determine the dosages.

Okay I think I've found what I was looking for. In order to achieve the following:
EI target ranges
CO2 range 20-30 ppm
NO3 range 5-30 ppm
K+ range 10-30 ppm
PO4 range 1.0-2.0 ppm

I should use the following dosing schedule using the EI system.
sunday: KN03(1/4tsp), KH2PO4(1/16tsp), K2SO4(1/16tsp)
monday: Plantex CSM+B(1/16tsp)
tuesday: KN03(1/4tsp), KH2PO4(1/16tsp), K2SO4(1/16tsp)
wednesday: Plantex CSM+B(1/16tsp)
thursday: KN03(1/4tsp), KH2PO4(1/16tsp), K2SO4(1/16tsp)
friday: Plantex CSM+B(1/16tsp)
saturday: 50% PWC at night

If I use this dosing schedule, do you think my algae problem will be resolved or do you think I'd still need CO2 for my 29g tank(65w CF)?

Also...more on CO2 after looking deeper into the realm of DIY CO2, it appears that the task of diffusing it is quite a task indeed. Not too mention it takes up a lot of space.

After taking a quick peak at pressurized systems...definately out of the question with those price tags. How well would dosing Flourish excel work a few times a week?

Thanks,

Mike

The recommended dose for Flourish Excel is a daily dose. You're not going to get as good of results if you dose it less often.

There are some options for diffusing CO2 that don't take up a lot of space in your tank and are very efficient. Both an Inline CO2 Reactor and the Mist Method would be excellant options.

Back
Top Bottom