Downoi and Crypt Parva

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all! Currently, my Dwarf Hairgrass looks like it won't be as successful as I wanted it to be; therefore, I'm thinking about replacing it with a combination of Downoi and Cryptocoryne Parva. Do these plants form dense carpets? Do these plants get bigger than 2-3 inches? Also, would Crypt Parva look good in front of Crypt Undulata? Thanks!

I was also considering Hydrocotyle sp."Japan" as well, but I don't know much about it.

Im getting ready to tear out my sag platy as its sending runners all over the tank and its driving me insane. It grows way too fast. Im looking to replace with downoi. I believe it carpets but pretty slowly and controllably

Glosso carpets look nice but i think theres lots of work to do to get it to carpet

It would be awesome if I could get that to carpet, but I have pesky Cory Cats that like to uproot my very small rooted plants.

From doing some research myself but not personal experience(yet!) I believe Downai carpets much better in higher light. Personally I don't think it looks as good if it doesn't carpet.....

From doing some research myself but not personal experience(yet!) I believe Downai carpets much better in higher light. Personally I don't think it looks as good if it doesn't carpet.....

I think I'm either going to go with Glosso or Crypt Parva. If I could get one of these (especially Glosso) to carpet, it would do wonders for my tank. I've had Dwarf Hairgrass and Dwarf Baby Tears fail in my tank, which was disappointing (they couldn't establish themselves to spread).

Actually, I think I going to try to carpet Dwarf Four Leaf Clover (Marsilea crenata) now. I've read online that it is easier to take care of than Glosso and it is similar looking to Glosso.

Downoi is very easy to grow and can form incredibly thick carpets. Parva grows very slow and takes a long time to carpet. Here's an old picture that shows downoi on the left and parva on the right. You can also buy Downoi at Pet Smart in boxes. It's in it's emersed form and after planted will change it's leaf growth into what you see in the picture.

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g dirted tank - Picture

I like the look of Downoi. How tall does it get? I'm thinking that if I'd get Crypt Parva, it wouldn't set a good contrast in my tank as I'm going to put various types of Crypt Wendtii in it in upcoming months. I also like the looks Glosso and Marsilea crenata. From what I've read online, Glosso is harder to take care of. I I have medium lighting (T5HO duel lamp). What would suggest? Downoi, Glosso, or Marsilea crenata?

Glosso needs really high light to stay low. I've got quad T5HO Aquaticlife on a 29g and my Glosso is still trying to grow up more than out. It needs trimming pretty often too. OS.

Glosso needs really high light to stay low. I've got quad T5HO Aquaticlife on a 29g and my Glosso is still trying to grow up more than out. It needs trimming pretty often too. OS.

Well it looks like I'll eliminate Glosso off of my list. I'm down to Downoi and Marsilea crenata. This will be hard to pick between. I don't know if a combination of the two would look nice either.

Downoi will fill in much quicker than Marsilea. Plus Downoi throws out new side shoots as it fills in and those can be clipped off and replanted as well.

Downoi will fill in much quicker than Marsilea. Plus Downoi throws out new side shoots as it fills in and those can be clipped off and replanted as well.

Great! I am going to go with Downoi. The next steps for me are the amount that I need to buy from Peabody's Paradise (30 gallon foreground) and how I can successfully carpet them.

Pet Smart carries a box of maybe 4 starts for $8. They sell it by the name Pogostemon helferi, not Downoi.

Back
Top Bottom