Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So yesterday I was on a 20 mile bicycle ride when I spotted an awesome curve in a fallen tree. I ended up breaking the curve out of the section I wanted. I then rode 10 miles with a 5 foot long log. I got home and my landlord got a round saw and cut it into a 4 foot piece for my 55 gallon planted tank. I then got a stiff brush and a pot of boiling water and cleaned the log. I proceeded to put it in my aquarium and weigh it down with rocks.
Here is a few questions I have-
Will this log eventually sink?
I want to tie plants to it. What are some plants I can tie to it and what safe materials can I use to attach the plants?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130418_091649.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	168224   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130418_091703.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	168225  

Old 04-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It may or may not. I personally like how it is now! What plant are you planning on putting in there?

Old 04-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am thinking either anubias or Java fern But I want a plant that will grow and spread on the log.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You might want to soak it in a dilute vinegar or lemon juice solution followed with an overnight soak with some water from your tank with a teaspoon of fw aquarium salts. I've had success with the floating issues this way. I then used seachem flourish tabs secured with dwarf hair grass sewn to a coco mat at each end and diluted a couple root tabs and used that to coat the roots then secured plants loosely- worked like a charm...
ktomminello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Either the fern or the anubis will grow and spread on the log. I'm doing the same thing to a smaller 2ft piece in my 55 and I use new, clear, clean, boiled 30 lb fishing line to attach my fern to the log...but putting multiple plants on the log at even intervals will help cover faster..ill post pics later tonight of mine to give u visual on what I do
Old 04-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay so I noticed there are little fractures in the wood just big enough to hold a small peice of Java fern. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130418_095637.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	168233   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130418_095717.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	168234  

Old 04-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry about the algae I am getting some otocinclus catfish soon
Old 04-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkeeper88 View Post
So yesterday I was on a 20 mile bicycle ride when I spotted an awesome curve in a fallen tree. I ended up breaking the curve out of the section I wanted. I then rode 10 miles with a 5 foot long log. I got home and my landlord got a round saw and cut it into a 4 foot piece for my 55 gallon planted tank. I then got a stiff brush and a pot of boiling water and cleaned the log. I proceeded to put it in my aquarium and weigh it down with rocks.
Here is a few questions I have-
Will this log eventually sink?
I want to tie plants to it. What are some plants I can tie to it and what safe materials can I use to attach the plants?
given that most wood will eventually sink, the deciding factor comes down to whether it's a hardwood or softwood. Some, if not all, softwood will release toxin into your tank and pose potential risk to the over health of the fish in the tank. furthermore, if you just picked out the wood from the forest while biking, chances are it will eventually rot away. you would have a much better chance picking out woods near lakes, beaches, or any body of water since you can be sure the wood has been in the water one time or another, thus the natural cycle of curing. when the wood seems rotten, you might want to stay away from it. i went to a lake near where i live and was able to pick out the roots of a tree that's been in the water for who knows how long. i just need to clean it and make sure there's no parasites or worms that might be hidden before i put it in my tank.

anubias and java ferns are great choices. i would also add moss, any type, onto the wood using fishing lines.

fyi, I waited 4-5 months for my one of my large two-feet long bogwood to sink.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Okay so I noticed there are little fractures in the wood just big enough to hold a small peice of Java fern. What do you think?
That looks great...I'm jealous for sure...ummm keep doin what ur doing bc realy its how u wanna set it up and realy once the roots take hold they aren't that hard to remove. But its however u wanna set it up they are a low light plant and with ferts they will reproduce crazy...
Old 04-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Sorry about the algae I am getting some otocinclus catfish soon
Not to tell u which fish to get but albino bristle nose pleco are known to be the best algee eaters...i bought two and move them inbetween all 5 of my tanks and they keep them all clean
Old 04-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post

given that most wood will eventually sink, the deciding factor comes down to whether it's a hardwood or softwood. Some, if not all, softwood will release toxin into your tank and pose potential risk to the over health of the fish in the tank. furthermore, if you just picked out the wood from the forest while biking, chances are it will eventually rot away. you would have a much better chance picking out woods near lakes, beaches, or any body of water since you can be sure the wood has been in the water one time or another, thus the natural cycle of curing. when the wood seems rotten, you might want to stay away from it. i went to a lake near where i live and was able to pick out the roots of a tree that's been in the water for who knows how long. i just need to clean it and make sure there's no parasites or worms that might be hidden before i put it in my tank.

anubias and java ferns are great choices. i would also add moss, any type, onto the wood using fishing lines.

fyi, I waited 4-5 months for my one of my large two-feet long bogwood to sink.
I have thought about it and seems like a hard wood. I know its not the best idea to use it but I rather it be dry wood as apposed to from the areas waters where I live. Leeches and heavy runoff here is really bad.

Tags
drift, drift wood, wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com