Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D_Tristan22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I soaked my drift wood for about 4 days then boiled it for about 5 hours. Now I'm letting it soak again.

How long does it usually need to be soaked until I can add it to my fish tank?

Mmm well mine had a tea like water color. Should I wait till it's clear or?

Your choice. Some DW produce more tannins than others. You might not notice it in the tank (diluted out with larger volume). I have a piece of Malaysian DW that still leaches tannins after 8 months but I don't really notice it until I do water changes (bucket used is white).

No. Depending on what fish you have they will like acidic soft water produced from it. If you have a pleco they will scrap at the wood as well to help with their digestive system.

I have a piece of Manzanita and am soaking it in hot water (changed daily). It took less than 24 hours to become water logged and sink, some tannins are still coming out. Though fish like this, and if you use something like Seachem Purigen, the tannins won't show as much (or at all). Enjoy :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 on the Purigen. Does a great job as an additional piece of filter media to soak up the color from the tannins.

I boiled my piece until water was brown, changed water, repeat until water color was very mild.

+1 on the Purigen. Does a great job as an additional piece of filter media to soak up the color from the tannins.

I boiled my piece until water was brown, changed water, repeat until water color was very mild.

I did this also....

Back
Top Bottom