Driftwood in planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i not sure if its good or not but you may want to get a piece with more holes or branchier. that piece, IMO, doesnt look really good and i dont think you will be able to do much with it.

HTH

Kyle

now that you mention it, something branchier would look nicer... there's just so much to choose from since every piece is different :) thanks for the help. i heard that malaysian driftwood works well without having to mount it, is this true?

Yes, Malaysian and Mopani are both dense enough that they pretty much sink without even being wet. They both also leech tannins into the water, tho I don't notice it at all with 15lbs of mopani wood.

If you look around, you may find a LFS that carries some Malaysian and most of them seem to carry those pieces that come attached to slate.

Picking wood is a lot like picking plants or fish. It's best to see it in person.

That said, I think you would be safe to go with Floridadriftwood.com...

My Malaysian stump/crotch weighs probably 40 pounds and sank instantly. Tannins are minimal, but present. Personally, I prefer a tea water.

I buy most of mine at a local big al's, it let's me pick through the bin and find pieces I like, rather then settling on what comes in the mail.

I got some Malaysian driftwood from the petco here for about 10.00 to 15.00 each, depending on size. I also ordered from floridadriftwood, and don't think I got the exact pieces I ordered. But keeping them anyways. The branchy one I thought was supposedly 22 inches long, but the one I got looks like a praying mantis, and isn't even 12 inches. But I like them. I've also got on ebay, just watch for the shipping. Some places there rip you off on shipping, and others are ok.

Yuri said:
I got my Malaysian driftwood from DrFosters. I was very very pleased with their looks, color, and size according to what I ordered (one small and one larger piece). Only boiled for two hours before getting impatient and throwing them into my tank. Sunk instantly and no tannins.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=8103&N=2004+113714

I forgot, I got my Malaysian driftwood from there for my 26G and really like the pieces they sent. Would order from them again....

The driftwood I got from DRs. F&S I soaked for 3 weeks before putting in my tank. I changed the water in the buckets every 2-3 days, as it did leech out massive tannins at first. Another way is to boil it to get the tannins out quicker. I've had my driftwood in the 26G now for just over a year, and still can tell there's tannins under my high lighting. When I was using my regular hood, I didn't notice it at all, but now under my CF lighting, it still leeches some. But I like the look.

I like malaysian driftwood because it sinks right off. I've bought a bunch from http://www.aquaticeco.com - its the cheapest I've ever seen for driftwood! Very nice too. Here is the picture of all the driftwood I added to my tank (water is cloudy from me messing with substrate and I'm going to move the awkward piece on the end):
p1010653.html

p1010658.html

p1010656.html

I got what they called African Driftwood at my LFS in Boca Raton, FL. It's really heavy and staying down is not in question. It is leeching some tannins into the water, but it's only a few weeks old - I can deal with it. It came in a plastic shrink wrap and was NOT cheap.

African driftwood is good too. I have 1 piece in my 55G. And yes, it released tannins for a few months, but is almost nil now, as it's been in an aquarium for a year, the 26G at first, then moved to my 55G.

I picked up some Malaysian driftwood from Aquatic Eco-Systems. They're also in Florida and have the best pricing I've seen on driftwood anywhere. I didn't get to choose them, but got some really nice pieces to work with.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/11370/cid/2928

The wood arrived today and I just started soaking them a little while ago. It sunk right to the bottom of my barrel without any hesitation.

I've bought Malaysian driftwood from F&S and have really good luck. I've also bought a lot of stuff on Ebay. Thats where I've found my most cool knarly pieces. I boil and/or soak all. My largest piece is now soaking in one of our cattle tanks. Couldn't find any place big enough for it! Check AA article section for more info on driftwood. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom