Driftwood keeps floating. Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBlackSloth

Aquarium Advice Regular
I work at a LFS and yesterday saw the most amazing price of driftwood for 79.99 I'll try to attach a picture not to good With that stuff. But it's been soaking for 18hrs now if it's still floating when it's done what do I do? Any help would be great. Thanks.

image-2618465999.jpg

You could use aquarium glue(comes as 2 part epoxy mix) to attach a piece of slate or two on what will be the bottom to hold it down.

Silicone may work, but I know the glue will hold.

Yeah that's a possibility. I was wondering if I could use some sort of weight and hold it down. Because there's so many ways I can place this idk if I want to permanently glue it down.

In my humble opinion, soaked enough, it stays down..
Soak it for at least a week!! Changing the water. I wasn't so patient.. but that was the advice I got.

Yeah that's a possibility. I was wondering if I could use some sort of weight and hold it down. Because there's so many ways I can place this idk if I want to permanently glue it down.

Why permanent? Just Weight it with rocks or something!:)

Probably needs to soak to get I completely waterlogged. My new piece had dried in the sun for nearly a month, so was VERY DRY. I boiled it for about 2 hours (along w/some collected rocks for the tank). After I scrubbed it and it cooled down, inlaced it in the tank and it just barely wanted to float. Stuck the end down in the sand a bit and it held. You might try that and or temporarily putting a large rock on it until it is completely soaked through.

Thx guys I didn't much want to use the glue. Also I can boil the driftwood it is about 4lbs 18inches tall 8inches wide so I have it soaking outside in a big cooler its been 18hrs so far.

Floating Driftwood

Hello TheBlack...

I weigh my driftwood down with rocks, but there are other ways. I've also used black sewing thread and wrapped black suction cups to the wood and secured the cups to the glass. Then, planted Crypts around the cups to hide them. By the time the sewing thread disolves the wood piece is waterlogged and stays at the bottom.

Another option, I like is to drill holes in the wood, attach Java fern to the piece, again with black sewing thread and just allow everything to float. Attached is a pic of a 45 G tank I use to experiment with different substrates, liquid ferts and anything I find. I floated some Java fern in it and it grows very well in low light.

Just a thought. Above everything else, have fun!

B

Hmm really cool ideas bro. Nice expriment tank. I like the test guppys. Also haha

I soaked mine in the bath a couple of days and washed in the dishwasher. I just kinda pushed the edges under some rock to keep it from floating

img_1501312_0_f7c2456cd08bdc87ed66092efacd92ab.jpg

jetajockey said:
I used a piece of slate and some stainless screws to get the big piece in the back of this picture to stay down.

Wow. A couple of pieces there I REALLY like!!!!

BBradbury said:
Hello TheBlack...

I weigh my driftwood down with rocks, but there are other ways. I've also used black sewing thread and wrapped black suction cups to the wood and secured the cups to the glass. Then, planted Crypts around the cups to hide them. By the time the sewing thread disolves the wood piece is waterlogged and stays at the bottom.

Another option, I like is to drill holes in the wood, attach Java fern to the piece, again with black sewing thread and just allow everything to float. Attached is a pic of a 45 G tank I use to experiment with different substrates, liquid ferts and anything I find. I floated some Java fern in it and it grows very well in low light.

Just a thought. Above everything else, have fun!

B

Now that sounds good. Are you sure you werent a Bosn Mate? That is some good advice right there. Thanks Shipmate

I've heard that you should soak it in boiling water, then after a couple of hours plunge it into a bucket of freezing water, then back into the boiling water, then back in the cold water. Do this over and over until it sinks. What it does is when it's in the boiling water the pores of the wood open up then when you dunk it in the cold water it sucks in the cold water. Each time you do it more and more water makes it way into the wood. Also the hot water makes the air inside the wood expand and it comes out.

That makes sense. I just don't have a pot big enough navy running it under the bathtub water then changing temps

Are you soaking it in boiling water?
I had the same problem with my manzanita branches so i wrapped several weight anchors on it and it worked

Back
Top Bottom