Driftwood PITA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hannibal the Bichir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,
I acquired a medium piece of driftwood from green leaf aquariums. Low and behold, two weeks later....the thing still floats. I know I'm impatient, but this wood isn't super light weight or dense. It's heavy and dense. I submerged it in a cooler for two weeks now. I have no method of boiling the thing, because if its size. I heard screwing it into slate, but that would restrict plant growth. It's impossible to weight down with stones in the tank, because of its shape. I don't know what the wood type is. Any suggestions or knowledge on the waiting period. I know it can take a really long time, but this stuff seems like the fast sinking type of dw. Anyway, here's the link to gla dw, it's the exact type of wood shown here.
Thank you
Aquarium Driftwood - Manzanita | Green Leaf Aquariums

Manzanita sometimes take some time to waterlog. You might need to secure it down in the time being.

Yeah i had this happen to two pieces of DW - which, one was Manzanita too. Sometimes you have to think outside the box. I used some mesh to hold a river rock and tried some fishing line through it and the Manzanita to anchor it down. Worked liked a charm like so...

ForumRunner_20130422_184213.jpg

Try drilling a bunch of very small holes in it like 1/32 inch on the bottom sides so you won't see it it will speed up the water absorption another option is to drill out a small cavity in the wood and put some gravel into the hole

I thought about drilling it with holes. The mesh idea sounds plausible, I need a huge rock though lol. Great suggestions so far. Greatly appreciated:)

Back
Top Bottom