Driftwood question! Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big_al01

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I found a nice pice of driftwood at a river close to where I live. I brought it home and noticed it had a small mushroom on it so knocked it off and washed the piece of driftwood. Will this still be ok to put in my tank since it had a little mushroom on it?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Preparing Your Driftwood

Ok so I found a nice pice of driftwood at a river close to where I live. I brought it home and noticed it had a small mushroom on it so knocked it off and washed the piece of driftwood. Will this still be ok to put in my tank since it had a little mushroom on it?

Hello big...

Rinse the piece well with a pressure nozzle attached to the garden hose. Leave it outside in the sun for a few hours and it will be ready to go into the tank. Hopefully, you picked up some good sized rocks too. You'll need them to weigh down the piece in the tank.

B

I did just that!! Thank you so much for the help!

It might leech some tannins for a while if you put it straight into your tank. If you don't want your water stained like tea I suggest it soak it for a week or so changing water daily.

new here but....

When I had tanks in the past I used to take wood pieces and soak them as the other guy said to leech out any coloring it might have inside due to internal molding/mildew/insect/ blah blah blah.

After that I would dry it in the oven at LOW HEAT for a while to really sort of temper it and kill ANYTHING that may be hiding inside.

Never failed me in the past.

Im planning an aquascaped tank so hopefully Ill get to do this again soon.

good luck

Back
Top Bottom