Driftwood Won't Sink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some never will. Some will take months. The easiest way is to tie or screw it to a piece of slate until it stays submerged on it's own.

If you dont want to have slate or a weight to it, to process to get to sink faster(all wood will sink eventually) is to use a barrel, like a 55g trash can and tie a rock to the wood directly and soak it like that, the water pressure quickens the soaking process.

Yes, using GE-1 right?

I had to do this with my cypress wood as it takes years to sink. Use the clear stuff, they sell it at home depot same price as the tubes of white from walmart, 3.94 usd. I used white and it looks like poo, cant even see it but I know its there and looks like poo.

Make sure its 100% silicone. It will be Silicone 1.

WHere i n jersey are you? I have tons of shale.

I have a big 3 foot piece of wood and it still hasn't sunk after being submerged for a year and a half. I used big rocks that I leaned on the ends that held it down and added hiding spots for the fish, so it worked out. But I have also had small pieces that have sunk overnight. How big is it?

I don't have slate or a drill. I guess I'm going shopping ugh. Can I silicone it to the slate?

no. silicone will not stick to wood well enough if your wood wants to float.

lead strips, sinkers or pellets will sink it. good luck drilling slate without a press or high power drill and a stone bit.

YES, more shale please.

I siliconed Cypress to slate, it holds just fine, been submerged for almost 2 months. The only thing going on with it is plants took over and the pangio oblonga's turned it into their hotel.

It is holding underwater just fine, I siliconed it together but placed a heavy object of your choice on it for 3 solid days. then put it in the water.

floating driftwood

I find that boiling the wood is also helpful to make it more likely to sink, perhaps because it forces it to absorb water more quickly?
JD

I think the wood I was using was crumbling and the silicone just pulled off the wood.

Lowryder, sorry I didn't get this sooner. That would've been great. But I'll probably just end up going over to the Slate Belt and see what I can find.

Back
Top Bottom