Driftwood won't water log I need advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krtyr26

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I got two new pieces of driftwood for my tank the bigger one is pretty big and have one end tied down by two good sized rocks as you can see and the second piece is being held down by bricks. The big one still won't stay all the way down even tied to the rock, it takes two hand to hold in down all the way in the tank. So my question is what's a better more eye pleasing way to keep this under water. It's been there for about a week now and it's just as resistant to sink as when I first put it in!!! None of my other driftwood gave me such a hassle, I truely need some advice here!!!IMG_1638.jpgIMG_1639.jpg

Crap that would be extremely difficult due to size my tank is a 125 gallon and the large piece can almost the full length of tank and the other is pretty big to

That might actually work if I had more then one bathroom in my house full of kids lol

Oh no you had to break it, that's awful ugg I paid a pretty penny and like it because it is the perfect size for my tank. I wish I knew what kind I f wood it is! If I glued it to a slate rock of some sort what type of glue would be safe to use?

I know some people use super glue. Or go to Home Depot and get some tile and tie it down, then remove it the tile. Or grab some ceramic pots fill them with rock and put a plant in it and tie it to it.

The tile is a good idea, so any super glue will work . I thought I'd have to use a silicone or something. I have gorilla super glue here already

For the parts of the DW that contact the substrate, you may want to try securing those parts to an appropriately sized piece of slate using stainless steel screws. The slate can be buried in the substrate to give it more "weight".

The tile is a good idea, so any super glue will work . I thought I'd have to use a silicone or something. I have gorilla super glue here already

Just keep trying to hold it down. I've got 2 massive bits in my 90. I cable tied rocks to it to hold it. Took 3 months for it to sink lol

For the parts of the DW that contact the substrate, you may want to try securing those parts to an appropriately sized piece of slate using stainless steel screws. The slate can be buried in the substrate to give it more "weight".

Oh may be a girly question but how will I screw through the slate with out splitting the slate??

I'm so sing zip ties now lol

Haha yea it's a good solution! I had big egg like rocks, made it easier to tie on :) big pieces take so long to water log. It's so annoying. I couldn't boil mine either so I had to soak them for 2 months before I put it in. Makes for a long journey lol

Haha yea it's a good solution! I had big egg like rocks, made it easier to tie on :) big pieces take so long to water log. It's so annoying. I couldn't boil mine either so I had to soak them for 2 months before I put it in. Makes for a long journey lol

Yay I can't hardly wait(sarcasm) every time I do water changes and clean substrate which is every other day ( gotta keep those discus happy) they want to float it is frustrating, but one I assume will be well worth the wait once it's water logged

Yay I can't hardly wait(sarcasm) every time I do water changes and clean substrate which is every other day ( gotta keep those discus happy) they want to float it is frustrating, but one I assume will be well worth the wait once it's water logged

So true :) in future if u decide to use a few smaller bits that are too big for a pot u can run them on max temp in the dish washer a few times over. Just make sure u have no rinse aid in there ;)

Oh may be a girly question but how will I screw through the slate with out splitting the slate??

Not girly at all. You can use a drill bit equal to or slightly larger than the threads of the screw and drill through the slate. Afterwards, you can drill pilot holes into the driftwood (may want to go slightly smaller with the drill bit).

Back
Top Bottom