drop check

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Scroggins..

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my cal aqua drop checker in my tank for a few (2-3) days now (today is 3rd week since set up). I'm having trouble getting it to go from blue to green.. my bubble counter is going at juuuust over 1 bubble per second. it's at like 5 bubbles every three seconds... what can you guys recommend, just slowly turn it up, maybe twice a day until i get the reading i want? the manufacturer suggests waiting 2 hours for the checker to acclimate to any adjustments with the CO2.. but i've seen no color change yet..

thanks in advance!

I would slowly increase the bubble count...like try 2 bubbles per sec today....and if you don't see a change tomorrow...increase it again....and so on until you get green. If you wanted to go faster, you could...I'd wait more than 2 hours for a change though...maybe more like 4 hours to be safe.

not too worried about immediate results or anything, i'm waiting for my ammonia levels to drop, aquasoil substrate so... i think i got time before my cycle even starts. thanks

Are you using a diffuser on your CO2? And is the water you used in your drop checker the right dKH? Those things can both make a difference. :)

For diffusion i'm running my CO2 through a small airstone. It fits nicely into the intake of my powerhead. Pretty small bubbles, like maybe the size of a period at the end of a sentence..

For the drop checker i am using the fluid that came with it, and on their website it says "The indicator solution is a combination of KH Standard / 4 degree KH (4 dKH) and pH indicator (Bromothymol Blue)." Drop checker is from Cal Aqua Labs...

It's a 55gal tank, with canister filter. I've been running oxygen during the "light off" period. I'm guessing the surface agitation from that would dissipate some of the CO2, but shouldn't i be able to stabilize it eventually? Everything is on a day/night timer, On 5, off 4, on 5, off 10 over night.

thanks for lending some knowledge here!

Last edited:
oh jeez. thats why you arent getting anywhere. i would start at about 4 or 5 bubbles a second. and if you dont have fish yet then go for it.

okay, nice. i guess i had always just read to shoot for 1 -2 bps.. turning it up first thing tomorrow! and thank you.

1-2 bps is a pretty good starting point but that is really more for tanks with fish. it works for smaller tanks but you got a bigger one.

Back
Top Bottom