drop checker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will someone please send me a link of a website that I can buy a drop checker! I don't know why I am having such a hard time finding one!?!

well.... funny story i tried to buy from the only seller offering a drop checker from ebay and they would not give me an estimate on shipping so i was hoping to go some were else...

CO2 Indicator

You can find a lot of the plastic ones around, like I linked above. Green leaf aquarium usually carries the glass ones, but they are out of stock and super expensive. The Ada sites (adana-usa.com and adgshop.com both carry the ADA drop checker, but it is way expensive.

If you want glass, ebay is the way to go. If you are ok with the look of the plastic, go with the link above. They all function exactly the same, so it is really all down to personal preference in how it looks.

FYI though, to get it to read accurately you will either need to buy 4dKH solution on ebay or elsewhere, or make it yourself (Which is not all that difficult if you have a gram scale).

i saw a bottle of 4dKH solution on ebay but the solution was not blue it was clear (isn't it supposed to be blue?)

i will probably get the plastic one you linked

the blue part is bromothymol blue. It will come with the drop checker. the 4dKH standard is clear. You add the bromothymol blue to the 4dKH standard to get the drop checker solution.

i imagine the drop checker will come with directions on how to do all of that. How long will the 10ml bottle of bromothymol blue last me (do i need to order more?)

it will last a very long time. You only use about 4 drops of it every 2 months or so. The directions will not mention the 4dKH solution. They will say to use your tank water. This is a very inaccurate method to using a drop checker, unless your tank water happens to be spot on at 4 degrees KH

does ro water work for it?

then how do i know how much 4dKH to use if it is not in the directions?

o i get it. how many ml of 4dKH does it take to fill to the "fill line" (would 50 ml last a long time?)

were would i be able to buy it? (i have not had luck with ebay lately... lol)

eBay is about the only place you can really buy it. You can make it rather easily if you have or get a gram scale. It is just distilled water and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).

this is kind of off topic but is distilled water and ro water the same?

Back
Top Bottom