Drop checker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jconner3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there some secret trick to getting a drop checker to change from blue to green? I'm pretty sure I might be doing something wrong.

greetings.

a drop checker changes from blue to green when you add co2 (?)
if you are not telling us what you are doing we can't tell you if you are doing something wrong.

nereksnad said:
greetings.

a drop checker changes from blue to green when you add co2 (?)
if you are not telling us what you are doing we can't tell you if you are doing something wrong.

I've got pressurised co2 running at 4 bps and it comes on an hour before the lights. Im using a fluval ceramic diffuser

Drop checkers can take up to four hours to change. If it still refuses to change, you need to make sure that the co2 is getting into the tank ok (cheap for leaks, etc) and that it's not leaving the tank prematurely (due to surface agitation, bad sump design, etc.

Make sure you use 4dkh solution and ph solution. The stuff that came with my DC didn't work. It's best to just DIY

I'm using 4 dkh and the co2 solution that came with the drop checker. Do I maybe need a better diffuser? I have an atomic one as well.

Could something be gassing off the co2? What kind of filter are you running? With an atomizer it's probably a canister. Do you have a lot of surface agitation?

Use low range pH test solution. The stuff that comes with test kits are hit and miss.

Also, generally atomizers work pretty well.

atomic_co2_diffuser_55mm__25718.1346287322.850.850.jpg
This is the atomic diffuser that I have. I just now put it in so maybe that will help. Ive been using the drop checker with included the included co2 solution for about 2 weeks now and its always a dark blue. Ill change it out to low range pH and see if maybe that makes a difference. This whole process is becoming frustrating, BBA has started showing up and its not too pretty to look at.

I have to actually measure the amount of water going into my glass DC to get it to turn green. I've found 2 drops of pH solution to 1ml of water the best ratio. I put 2ml of 4dKH water and 4 drops of low range pH reagent. Any more reagent and the glass DC doesn't seem to work. My plastic Red Sea DC doesn't give me any issues. I was simply adding to much reagent at first (1.5ml water to 6 drops reagent). I'm no expert on this so maybe someone with an actual understanding could chime in. This is only what I found to work for me through experimentation and use of a pH meter to roughly confirm the DC readings.

Well, my drop checker finally turned green. I don't know If it was the better diffuser or using the low range pH solution.

Bad news, I broke my bubble counter yesterday and was fiddling with the needle valve. Came home from work to find a tank full of gasping fish, a yellow drop checker and two half dead angels. :(

Jconner3 said:
Bad news, I broke my bubble counter yesterday and was fiddling with the needle valve. Came home from work to find a tank full of gasping fish, a yellow drop checker and two half dead angels. :(

Wow, that really is bad news. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everybody pulls through.

I lowered the water a couple of inches and added an airstone. The angels look like they may make it. Looks like I might lose all my rummy nose tetras and Bolivian ram though

Back
Top Bottom