Drop checker solution???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billbug68

Aquarium Advice Addict
I ordered a drop checker off eBay a few weeks ago and it says to mix tank water with the solution. I know this method is out of date, so can someone explain the difference between the solution it comes with and 4DKH solution? Where is the best/cheapest place to get 4DKH? Does one solution show ph and the other actual co2? What's the deal? I could use some explanations, any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

I ordered a drop checker off eBay a few weeks ago and it says to mix tank water with the solution. I know this method is out of date, so can someone explain the difference between the solution it comes with and 4DKH solution? Where is the best/cheapest place to get 4DKH? Does one solution show ph and the other actual co2? What's the deal? I could use some explanations, any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

The solution it came with is just a normal pH indicating solution. It will tell you the pH of whatever solution you add to the drop checker by means of varying color.

The 4dKH solution is just that, a solution that has been buffered to 4 dHK. Using the buffer solution and adding the pH indicator you can get a general idea of where your CO2 is. If the solution is blue, you don't have that much CO2 in the tank, green means around 30 ppm, and yellow mean above 30 ppm CO2.

Yeah, I understand now, I guess I was thinking it was just one or the other, not both in the DC. Man, now I have to order 4dKH... :/ it's been 2 weeks and the drop checker still isn't here! Time to do some online shopping I suppose...

Billbug68 said:
Yeah, I understand now, I guess I was thinking it was just one or the other, not both in the DC. Man, now I have to order 4dKH... :/ it's been 2 weeks and the drop checker still isn't here! Time to do some online shopping I suppose...

You can get the solution on Amazon, really cheap....and a big bottle.

Billbug68 said:
Now the question is, how much of each do I add to the dc once I get all the stuff?

I fill my dc about 2/3full of the solution, then add 3-4 drops of ph solution. Gets it a nice rich color so it's easier to see.

Billbug68 said:
Now the question is, how much of each do I add to the dc once I get all the stuff?

I fill half ...with pH 4.0 solution, then I add 3 drops of pH API reacting solution to get the deep blue color.

Again, thank you guys for the help! I hope everything gets her by the end of the week. I just ordered the 4dKH solution, and the drop checker should be here soon! Plus I've got a few plants on order too! This should be a fun Friday coming up!

Billbug68 said:
Okay, I'm glad I got the same one you listed from eBay. I was a bit put off by the other stuff. Thanks! :)

Rkilling is right! Sorry for the confusion.... You should use 4dkh solution..... not buffer at 4.0

Also, do NOT use the reagent that came with the drop checker, especially if it's the white bottle/green cap one with the chinese lettering on it. Use your low pH liquid test kit reagent.

aqua_chem said:
Also, do NOT use the reagent that came with the drop checker, especially if it's the white bottle/green cap one with the chinese lettering on it. Use your low pH liquid test kit reagent.

Thanks aqua chem, I'll use the one from my master test kit then. Is there a reason the Chinese stuff is bad? Just curious.

It just doesn't work right for some reason. Sometimes it will read green without even being in the tank.

aqua_chem said:

+1. Use better the API reagent.

Back
Top Bottom