Dry fert question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rlavassor86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm about to order some ferts from greenleafaquariums.com and I'm just wondering which package I should get. I'm thinking about getting the pps pro pack but I'd like some opinions from some of you green thumbs out there.

I'd suggest the green fert pack...pick up three 1000 ml dosing containers...mix micros in 1 bottle,mix your macros in another(except your nitrates)& nitrates in another bottle...you'll to accurately measure your dry ferts as well so I use a digital scale&weigh in a 2oz soufle cup...

tiger terror said:
I'd suggest the green fert pack...pick up three 1000 ml dosing containers...mix micros in 1 bottle,mix your macros in another(except your nitrates)& nitrates in another bottle...you'll to accurately measure your dry ferts as well so I use a digital scale&weigh in a 2oz soufle cup...

Why do nitrates need a separate bottle? The dosing solution on the site says to mix it with the K2SO4 and KH2PO4

By mixing nitrates in a seperate bottle it is much easier to custom tailor your dosing to your tanks need. Often after you dose for some time and keep track of your weekly nitrate and phosphate levels you will find you might need more or less of say nitrates so by keeping them seperate from the phosphate/potassium you can adjust how much you need. For example my tank sucks up phosphate/potassium due to the high number of non-green plants I have so I have to double dose the normal level of phosphate/potassium macro mix daily. I also run a very low nitrate tank and only want 10ppm of nitrates so I only usually dose nitrate a couple times a week. When all your macros are mixed together you can't make any specific adjustments. I'm actually the one who's been encouraging people to split their macro's up this way. Now you don't have to do that but it can be very helpful in the long run. I buy this package Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums. Then ordered 3- 1000ml dosing bottles. Also you'll see that the macro mix has MgSO4 magnesium in it but unless you have very soft water with a GH under 4 you don't need to add magnesium into your macro mix. Most tap water has plenty of magnesium in it.

Rivercats said:
By mixing nitrates in a seperate bottle it is much easier to custom tailor your dosing to your tanks need. Often after you dose for some time and keep track of your weekly nitrate and phosphate levels you will find you might need more or less of say nitrates so by keeping them seperate from the phosphate/potassium you can adjust how much you need. For example my tank sucks up phosphate/potassium due to the high number of non-green plants I have so I have to double dose the normal level of phosphate/potassium macro mix daily. I also run a very low nitrate tank and only want 10ppm of nitrates so I only usually dose nitrate a couple times a week. When all your macros are mixed together you can't make any specific adjustments. I'm actually the one who's been encouraging people to split their macro's up this way. Now you don't have to do that but it can be very helpful in the long run. I buy this package Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums. Then ordered 3- 1000ml dosing bottles. Also you'll see that the macro mix has MgSO4 magnesium in it but unless you have very soft water with a GH under 4 you don't need to add magnesium into your macro mix. Most tap water has plenty of magnesium in it.

Awesome, thank you. That's what I just ordered. Will be picking up a phosphate test kit today. Are they usually pretty quick on shipping? I just did the basic ups ground.

I haven't ordered anything in awhile but I can't remember ever thinking "is that stuff ever going to get here" either and I always just used ups ground.

Rivercats said:
I haven't ordered anything in awhile but I can't remember ever thinking "is that stuff ever going to get here" either and I always just used ups ground.

K cool. I can be pretty impatient at times. Especially when it comes to getting stuff for my tanks lol.

2-3 days ordered Sunday had on Wednesday or early Thursday morning I was happy happy happy :)

Back
Top Bottom