Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dry fert question.

So I'm about to order some ferts from greenleafaquariums.com and I'm just wondering which package I should get. I'm thinking about getting the pps pro pack but I'd like some opinions from some of you green thumbs out there.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #2

I'd suggest the green fert pack...pick up three 1000 ml dosing containers...mix micros in 1 bottle,mix your macros in another(except your nitrates)& nitrates in another bottle...you'll to accurately measure your dry ferts as well so I use a digital scale&weigh in a 2oz soufle cup...

Old 02-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger terror
I'd suggest the green fert pack...pick up three 1000 ml dosing containers...mix micros in 1 bottle,mix your macros in another(except your nitrates)& nitrates in another bottle...you'll to accurately measure your dry ferts as well so I use a digital scale&weigh in a 2oz soufle cup...
Why do nitrates need a separate bottle? The dosing solution on the site says to mix it with the K2SO4 and KH2PO4
Old 02-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

By mixing nitrates in a seperate bottle it is much easier to custom tailor your dosing to your tanks need. Often after you dose for some time and keep track of your weekly nitrate and phosphate levels you will find you might need more or less of say nitrates so by keeping them seperate from the phosphate/potassium you can adjust how much you need. For example my tank sucks up phosphate/potassium due to the high number of non-green plants I have so I have to double dose the normal level of phosphate/potassium macro mix daily. I also run a very low nitrate tank and only want 10ppm of nitrates so I only usually dose nitrate a couple times a week. When all your macros are mixed together you can't make any specific adjustments. I'm actually the one who's been encouraging people to split their macro's up this way. Now you don't have to do that but it can be very helpful in the long run. I buy this package Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums. Then ordered 3- 1000ml dosing bottles. Also you'll see that the macro mix has MgSO4 magnesium in it but unless you have very soft water with a GH under 4 you don't need to add magnesium into your macro mix. Most tap water has plenty of magnesium in it.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats
By mixing nitrates in a seperate bottle it is much easier to custom tailor your dosing to your tanks need. Often after you dose for some time and keep track of your weekly nitrate and phosphate levels you will find you might need more or less of say nitrates so by keeping them seperate from the phosphate/potassium you can adjust how much you need. For example my tank sucks up phosphate/potassium due to the high number of non-green plants I have so I have to double dose the normal level of phosphate/potassium macro mix daily. I also run a very low nitrate tank and only want 10ppm of nitrates so I only usually dose nitrate a couple times a week. When all your macros are mixed together you can't make any specific adjustments. I'm actually the one who's been encouraging people to split their macro's up this way. Now you don't have to do that but it can be very helpful in the long run. I buy this package Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums. Then ordered 3- 1000ml dosing bottles. Also you'll see that the macro mix has MgSO4 magnesium in it but unless you have very soft water with a GH under 4 you don't need to add magnesium into your macro mix. Most tap water has plenty of magnesium in it.
Awesome, thank you. That's what I just ordered. Will be picking up a phosphate test kit today. Are they usually pretty quick on shipping? I just did the basic ups ground.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I haven't ordered anything in awhile but I can't remember ever thinking "is that stuff ever going to get here" either and I always just used ups ground.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats
I haven't ordered anything in awhile but I can't remember ever thinking "is that stuff ever going to get here" either and I always just used ups ground.
K cool. I can be pretty impatient at times. Especially when it comes to getting stuff for my tanks lol.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

2-3 days ordered Sunday had on Wednesday or early Thursday morning I was happy happy happy
Old 02-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So my package is scheduled to arrive by end of day tomorrow. Can't wait.

Tags
dry, fert

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com