Dry start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long does potting soil have to soak before planting? Also I have miracle grow potting soil is that ok?

How long does potting soil have to soak before planting? Also I have miracle grow potting soil is that ok?

I don't do dirt, but from reading I believe you have to cycle it several times. IE wet it down and let it sit in the sun and repeat.

Here is a link:

GWAPA:

Dmw said:

I think you're only supposed to use all organic potting soil. I know Jeta uses a clay/dirt mix. It works well for him

It was free so was going to see if it works it says organic on the bag so I dubnno

Dmw said:
It was free so was going to see if it works it says organic on the bag so I dubnno

I don't personally think it is safe based on what I've read on here. Wait for a second opinion. Better safe than sorry

So everything else is fine, for you know how long to soak the soil before planting?

I read put the potting soil with a gravel or sand cap saturate but don't flood it and plant your plants and wait 1 - 2 months

Yeah organic and even plain topsoils are fine, just don't use anything with fertilizers.

Ive always mineralized soil prior to using it but basically I mix the soil and some clay together with enough water to make a nice mud.

jetajockey said:
Yeah organic and even plain topsoils are fine, just don't use anything with fertilizers.

Ive always mineralized soil prior to using it but basically I mix the soil and some clay together with enough water to make a nice mud.

What about organic soil with an organic fert mixed within the soil? Think I may have rushed it..also having trouble finding clay,any certain type of clay that should be used?

tiger terror said:
What about organic soil with an organic fert mixed within the soil? Think I may have rushed it..also having trouble finding clay,any certain type of clay that should be used?

What kind of organic ferts exactly? Besides a horrendous algae bloom there's no way to accurately gauge how much of those ferts are released into the water. After a few weeks the organics 'should' mineralize so its probably not a huge deal. (Keyword: should) I'd just be hesitant to stock for a while, and I'd regularly test for nitrogenous waste in the form of ammonia and nitrate.

Last edited:
image-1711514989.jpg

Here's my dirted tank. Love it. Get on YouTube and look up dustins fish tanks ! He will tell you what to do and how to do it.

So if I use a gravel cap on my potting soil can my plants grow on it, like micro swords, drawn hair grass, hc, or fissiden fontanus and still cover my fore ground and other areas I want covered?

I keep hearing bad about sand I like the idea of it better more natural, bit also really like the gravel idea too

Heard cuts of o2 and clogs filters also clouds water

Back
Top Bottom