DSM question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigQFan

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm ready to redo my tank and I think I want to try the DSM but I have a couple questions that I can't seem to find the answer to.
First, do you add the cap first or wait till you fill with water?
Second, I would like to try a DHG carpet which I've read grows really well with DSM, but I'm scared what happens when I fill it with water. Will it die? Continue to grow? Just stay the same? I don't have a co2 system and don't plan on one, but I have plenty of Glut to dose.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The cap, as in for a dirted tank? Either way works. This last time I put down the dirt, added water, packed it down a little bit, then put EC on top of it and it worked fine. I imagine whatever you do, it will work ok.

Regarding your second question...

I don't have a co2 system and don't plan on one, but I have plenty of Glut to dose.

This will be put the kibosh on wanting to grow DHG, unfortunately. It would likely die back significantly and not recover well without CO2.

Well, if I can't get a carpet without co2, I'll probably pass on the Dry Start. Is there any carpet plant that would survive?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom