Dual T5ho with 75 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just upgraded from 55 to 75 gallon tank and was wondering if a aquatic life dual t5HO 48" would be enough to distribute light evenly in the 75 gallon. Sorry for the silly question but I'm still pretty new with lighting.

Just upgraded from 55 to 75 gallon tank and was wondering if a aquatic life dual t5HO 48" would be enough to distribute light evenly in the 75 gallon. Sorry for the silly question but I'm still pretty new with lighting.

Saltwater or freshwater?

You would definitely have more light directly under the fixture and less near the sides of the tank.

Sorry can't help out. I haven't even gotten my feet wet with planted yet. There are members that have a wealth of knowledge regarding planted tanks and lighting. I see you've met one already...

"Plants" is such a blanket term. Will any variety of plant be able to grow in the peripherals? Certainly. There are a large number of plants that will do fine in moderate amounts of light. Your more light hungry plants might benefit from a more central placement though.

Of course, the quality of the fixture you buy will have an impact, with better (ie more expensive) fixtures giving off more light overall. You can also get customized fixtures from some manufacturers with extra wide housing that spread the bulbs further apart, decreasing light centrally but evening it out over the tank. If you're injecting co2, you could also get more bulbs to evenly distribute.

Also, remember that it's easier to reduce light than it is to get more light.

If you can afford it. I would do two t5 ho fixtures to cover the length of the tank. That would distribute the light evenly. I think you would be fine with that. You might want to research LED lighting as another option as well. LED's won't use up as much electricity as the t5 ho's will.

If you can afford it. I would do two t5 ho fixtures to cover the length of the tank. That would distribute the light evenly. I think you would be fine with that. You might want to research LED lighting as another option as well. LED's won't use up as much electricity as the t5 ho's will.

I was trying to use the t5ho in the middle and 1 dual t5no on the front and 1 on the back but it was way too much light my plants got tons of algae on them overnight and I am using co2.

I was trying to use the t5ho in the middle and 1 dual t5no on the front and 1 on the back but it was way too much light my plants got tons of algae on them overnight and I am using co2.

Oh ok gotcha. It sounds like you are trying to keep all the lighting in the middle of the tank. Is this what you are aiming for? Is there a particular reason why you want all the lighting in the middle of your tank?

I think the algae is normal for a new tank with lots of plants. My 20 gallon did that to when I upgraded my lighting. So I went out and bought some algae eaters and they did a good job cleaning up all the algae. Although I still have some on my plants.

I haven't started co2 yet. I am getting close to setting up co2 injection on my 20 gal.

Oh ok gotcha. It sounds like you are trying to keep all the lighting in the middle of the tank. Is this what you are aiming for? Is there a particular reason why you want all the lighting in the middle of your tank?

I think the algae is normal for a new tank with lots of plants. My 20 gallon did that to when I upgraded my lighting. So I went out and bought some algae eaters and they did a good job cleaning up all the algae. Although I still have some on my plants.

I haven't started co2 yet. I am getting close to setting up co2 injection on my 20 gal.

Not this much algae it was everywhere

Back
Top Bottom