Duckweed eaten by rainbowfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, so I was trying to grow a little bit of duckweed in my tank but I noticed it was disappear quickly. Come to find out my turquoise rainbow fish were chowing down. Has anyone ever had a problem like this? I didn't know rainbow fish would eat your plants.

I saved what i could so now I have maybe 20 DW plants in a container in some water from the tank with a little bit of sucrose to speed up the growth :p guess I can use DW to feed the rainbows now ;)

well you can add it as a snack .. and is probably only good in moderation. I have riccia and my snails cling on and chow down while flouting upside down in the tank

I have more duckweed than your rainbows can eat, and Salvinia that's apparently not as tasty. I toss duckweed from other tanks into the 125 for the silver dollars and severums to chow on, and it disappears quickly. The Salvinia doesn't seem to be bothered nearly as much, it mostly holds its own and still covers more than half the tank after several months.
The last time someone wanted duckweed to feed to something I packed a quart ziploc full.

toddnbecka said:
I have more duckweed than your rainbows can eat, and Salvinia that's apparently not as tasty. I toss duckweed from other tanks into the 125 for the silver dollars and severums to chow on, and it disappears quickly. The Salvinia doesn't seem to be bothered nearly as much, it mostly holds its own and still covers more than half the tank after several months.
The last time someone wanted duckweed to feed to something I packed a quart ziploc full.

Oh wow!! That's awesome!! I wish I could grow it that fast!

Be careful what you wish for. I have 12 tanks running, smallest is a 20 and the biggest is a 220. The duckweed runs amok in a couple of 75's and 40 breeders. Covers the surface and blocks the light for the Najas, so it gets thinned out regularly.

Ok to pleechford, I have heard, and my research suggest, that duckweed is very nutritious for fish. Even people eat it! I would consider growing it like you are nd feeding it to them!
To toddnbeka, how do you get it to grow so fast? I have some in a 5 gallon that I want to see grow well!

GodFan said:
Ok to pleechford, I have heard, and my research suggest, that duckweed is very nutritious for fish. Even people eat it! I would consider growing it like you are nd feeding it to them!
To toddnbeka, how do you get it to grow so fast? I have some in a 5 gallon that I want to see grow well!

That's what I hear too and that's why I would like it :)

haha I dont blame you! Supplement the cost of fish food huh? I may actually dry some out to feed my other tanks....

Holy cow is right! I have a little tub of it in between my glass top to my aquarium and my t5ho lighting. Is it too much light you think?

image-880153754.jpg

GodFan said:
I doubt it. Just make sure you do something to add nutrition to the water. Whether it be old fish water with nitrates or ferts.

I read up on a study done in a lab with duckweed. They added sugar water to accelerate growth and it worked so I'm adding old tank water and a little sugar water

GodFan said:
Sweet. I wonder what temp they need to thrive.

Oh gosh I'm not sure? They are right under a 2x t5ho so I know it's pretty warm

Back
Top Bottom