Dwarf baby tear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YY7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do Hemianthus callitrichoides need co2 to thrive, or can it still grow healthy with a good substrate and lighting? It's co2 a must? Has anyone grown hc without co2? :confused:

Do Hemianthus callitrichoides need co2 to thrive, or can it still grow healthy with a good substrate and lighting? It's co2 a must? Has anyone grown hc without co2? :confused:

I haven't grown it, but I would think, being as its usually a carpeting plant, that it would require a lot of light to reach down there, and the more light you use, the more necessary CO2 becomes. I know seachem makes that one product to supplement carbon, but someone more knowledgeable will have to pop in.

I haven't grown it, but I would think, being as its usually a carpeting plant, that it would require a lot of light to reach down there, and the more light you use, the more necessary CO2 becomes. I know seachem makes that one product to supplement carbon, but someone more knowledgeable will have to pop in.

Are you referring to Flourish Excel?

Are you referring to Flourish Excel?

Maybe, haha, but like I said, I'm just a noob. But from what I've seen about HC on google searches, co2 comes up quite a bit. But seeing as I'm also a bit interested in the subject, I'll hitch along on this thread for the ride! :wave:

Yeah, it seems I was referring to that. But apparently its only a CO2 supplement. I think with a high light small tank, it miggght work, but don't take my word for it.

Excel is a carbon supplement. Which is works ok for some plants, but not all that require co2 injection.

HC is a high light, nutrient hungry, and co2 needy plant IME. I haven't been able to grow it without co2 injection and even with co2, adding ferts, and high light it wasn't always happy and growing well. With high light and no co2 injection you are likely to have algae problems and the HC won't grow as fast...without high light and without co2 injection it won't grow well at all.

Unless you have the light, ferts, and co2 to make it happy, I personally wouldn't try it.

its possible to do it with out co2 but it havent had much luck. a key to hc really is to do a dry start. plant it keep it wet then let it spreed then fill the tank. i have some in a cake pan next to the window trying to grow it out some before i put mine in a tank.

I recently purchased a 55 gallon tank that came with the lights, the bulb read marineland f40t10, i believe that means is 40 watts, t-10. I also got a t-5 double light fixture that came with a colormax, and a 6700k bulb, both are 28 watts each, would that be enough light or do I need to change/upgrade my light? No co2 as of now, but a I got flourish excel, and flourish tabs, and the black diomond plant substrate from aquariumplants.com.

i would get a new t5 ho fixture really. just as a heads up for next time their substrate is just turface so you might be able to find it local and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Is it really turface? And if so, is it good for plants? so the lights I have now are not good enough for dwarf baby tears, or any plants, even low light plants?

Java fern and java moss do great practically anywhere. Even with just a standard factory spec light. Bit of a slow grower though. Still waiting on mine to clamp on to things.

You should be fine with the plants in the low and medium-low categories on this website. You could try some in the medium category, but alot of them would likely need more light. You don't have terrible lighting, its just not adequate for HC/Dwarf Baby Tears....or other high light plants. It doesn't mean you can't grow anything though. :) You have many options. Cryptocorynes are nice plants...don't need a whole lot of light and there are various leaf shapes and colors. Check them out.

If you don't want to spend a whole lot of money or are like me and too lazy to pull a DIY co2 system. Go with the Nutrafin Natural Plant co2 system. It's easy to use, takes a bit of examination to make sure it's working properly, but i have two running on my 29g planted before I got my T5 HO, and I had great results. But with hairgrass I'd say stay away from it unless you have good lighting and co2 going into your tank.

Is it really turface? And if so, is it good for plants? so the lights I have now are not good enough for dwarf baby tears, or any plants, even low light plants?
yes i use sms which is about the same thing in all my tanks but i got mine for $13 for 50 pounds.

http://www.tropica.com/productcard.asp?id=048B
tropica says its a low light plant. if you set it up right i really do beleive it will work in low light too.

Thank you guys for all your advise, I really appreciate it. Are there any ground covers that will thrive with the lights I have now and no co2? Ireally wanted to have the hc, but from what you guys have been telling me, it wouldn't be a good idea.

Marsilea minuta is a ground cover that is slow growing, but would grow and thrive in your lighting and without co2. It looks very similar to Glosso, if you have seen that. It can be hard to find though, but if you find it, it would grow nicely in your tank.

(y) Ok, I'll keep you guys up to date with my experiences, I'll post pics of my aquarium once is set up, I'm still waiting on a large mopani wood to arrive. Thank you again for your input on the subject.
:BIG:

Back
Top Bottom