Dwarf baby tear help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceekay26

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!! New to planted aquariums. I have a 30gallon tank with flourite substrate. My lighting is 4-T5 24watt high output bulbs. I'm injecting co2 with the fluval 88 system. Usual around 1-2 bps. I'm trying to get a carpet of dwarf baby tears but they don't really seem to grow much. They don't look like they are dying but just not growing at all. I'm not fertilizing really cause the guy at fish store doesn't recommend it cause I'm new. Any advice on anything would greatly help!! Thanks

Hi everyone!! New to planted aquariums. I have a 30gallon tank with flourite substrate. My lighting is 4-T5 24watt high output bulbs. I'm injecting co2 with the fluval 88 system. Usual around 1-2 bps. I'm trying to get a carpet of dwarf baby tears but they don't really seem to grow much. They don't look like they are dying but just not growing at all. I'm not fertilizing really cause the guy at fish store doesn't recommend it cause I'm new. Any advice on anything would greatly help!! Thanks

You have to have all 3.
Lights, Ferts and CO2.

I don't do high light tanks, so I'm sure someone can give better advice. But yes, ferts are necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you will have to fertilize. There is a ton of info out there on fertilizing. I suggest dry ferts because they ae the most cost effective. One year supply for 20$. Since your new just use the estimative index method (EI) of dosing. Fish waste and food wont provide enough nutrients for plants.

What ferts would you recommend? Like brand cause my lfs don't have much selection. I seen some seachem liquid ones but never seen dry ferts. Can I order them online??

Liquid you can do Seachem Flourish comprehensive and API Leaf Zone.

Or buy dry from Hobbyists on The Planted Tank ( free to join)
Or there are several sites that sell. Green Leaf Aquatics for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you have high light you have to do CO2 and proper micro and macro ferts. Here is what I use in my tanks...

I use these ferts.... http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/micro-macro-fertilizers.html.

I also suggest 3 of these dosing bottles... http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/dispenser-32oz.html

Read this thread about dosing PPS-Pro but only read the opening post and not all the comment posts... http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/pps-analysis-feedback/39491-newbie-guide-pps-pro.html.

There are two things I do differently than the thread is that I split my macro nutrients up using one dosing bottle for nitrates, and one dosing bottle for phosphates and potassium. This allows me for better custom dosing to the needs of my tank. I shoot for 10-20ppm of nitrate and 1-5ppm phosphates. The thread also has MgSO4, magnesium sulfate in the macro mix. If your tanks Gh is 4 or over then your tap water has enough magnesium in it that supplementing it is not needed.

Another thing is the Fluval CO2 kit your using is not very good and you will spend a lot of money over time having to replace cylinders. Also are you using a drop checker? Do you have a lot of surface water movement? Are you using a HOB filter? You should really check into getting a true pressurized CO2 system.

As for HC, it grows slowly and you need to plant small pieces about every 1/2" or so in a checkerboard pattern for it go grow into a carpet. Also adding a root tab here and there close to the HC plugs can aid in getting it to grow better.

I ordered the paintball adapter and a better diffuser but I'm still waiting for them to come in. I have a fluval canister filter.

When using the seachem comprehensive and api, is there a certain amount of just follow the bottle?

Back
Top Bottom