Dwarf Baby Tears Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JML Aqua

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I'm planning on starting a 10 gallon iwagumi tank with dwarf baby tears. Before I go spend $50 on dwarf baby tears I want to know if they will thrive and carpet in my tank.

(2) Finnex Stingray LEDs
Specs of LED's:
• Finnex Pencil Thin LED: 20"
• Tri- Color Blend: 7k White, 660nm True Red, Actinic Blue
• (32) total LEDs
11 watts

Here are the LEDs on my other 10 gallon temporarily:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414200052.557407.jpg

12 Pound Flora-Max CaribSea
7.7 Pounds of Flourite black sand

-note that the 10 Gallon is standard dimensions

Planning on doing diy co2

So are all of these things good enough for dwarf baby tears?
Please let me know thanks! :)

Or would dwarf hairgrass be a better choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't see it happening. . Stingrays are not a high light rig? .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't see it happening. . Stingrays are not a high light rig? .

They aren't meant for high-tech set ups, but with two of them im thinking I can pull it off. What do you think? Thanks for replying.

You might not be able to achieve a stable enough supply of co2 using diy for baby tears

The Stingray will only be putting out about 30 par at substrate level. HC is not undoable at the level, but it may be quite difficult depending on the other factors of the tank. No shame in trying though.

DHG would almost definitely not work at those levels.

The Stingray will only be putting out about 30 par at substrate level. HC is not undoable at the level, but it may be quite difficult depending on the other factors of the tank. No shame in trying though.

DHG would almost definitely not work at those levels.

I thought DHG was easier than baby tears though? I was told by several people they could survive under medium light. Considering I have 2 stingrays wouldn't be 60 par at substrate level? Just wondering because I get different info from people all the time. Thanks

I'll give you straight up truth, I had 2 13w cfls on my low tech 10 gal. Hygro, java fern, rotala and anarchis and a crypt red.. switched to a stungtay, plants have def. Taken a hit. They're not melting but not really growing like they used too, this is perfect for me and my wants from this tank though. I have high tech tanks and this is the easy one so slower growth us welcome. You may be ok but if you're wanting a true high tech setup than you'll need new lights.. plain and simple. . Prove me wrong and I'll buy you breakfast; )

I'll give you straight up truth, I had 2 13w cfls on my low tech 10 gal. Hygro, java fern, rotala and anarchis and a crypt red.. switched to a stungtay, plants have def. Taken a hit. They're not melting but not really growing like they used too, this is perfect for me and my wants from this tank though. I have high tech tanks and this is the easy one so slower growth us welcome. You may be ok but if you're wanting a true high tech setup than you'll need new lights.. plain and simple. . Prove me wrong and I'll buy you breakfast; )

Either get entirely new lights or just add another led like a planted+, I believe you would then have enough PAR for your ideal setup.

I thought DHG was easier than baby tears though? I was told by several people they could survive under medium light. Considering I have 2 stingrays wouldn't be 60 par at substrate level? Just wondering because I get different info from people all the time. Thanks

I missed that. 2x stingrays in a 10g would probably be enough to grow either assuming you have good CO2.

Honestly, neither HC nor DHG are particularly difficult to grow. A lot of people have trouble growing them because they try to grow them in tanks that are inappropriate, most commonly CO2 but also in poor lighting conditions. That, or they do grow them in subpar environments but are disappointed by the growth.

Moral of the story, if you stick a plant like HC into a tank with good light and good CO2, it will grow. There's really not much to it beyond light, CO2, and ferts.

I missed that. 2x stingrays in a 10g would probably be enough to grow either assuming you have good CO2.

Honestly, neither HC nor DHG are particularly difficult to grow. A lot of people have trouble growing them because they try to grow them in tanks that are inappropriate, most commonly CO2 but also in poor lighting conditions. That, or they do grow them in subpar environments but are disappointed by the growth.

Moral of the story, if you stick a plant like HC into a tank with good light and good CO2, it will grow. There's really not much to it beyond light, CO2, and ferts.

From what I've heard hc is a nitrate hog?
Op Keep that in mind if you stick on the conservative side.

From what I've heard hc is a nitrate hog?
Op Keep that in mind if you stick on the conservative side.

Any plant is a nitrate hog if it grows, and when HC gets CO2 and good light, it grows quite fast. That's one of the reasons that ferts are also important, and why a regimen like EI is so important whenever you have CO2.

In this video this girls keeps these baby tears under 13 watts and no co2 Superr Iwagumi UPDATE ! ! YEAHHHH - YouTube

It's impressive. I'm not saying that it can't be done. What I will say is that most people would fail under those circunstances, and if you buzz past all of the anecdotes of failure to the one story that seems to say what you want it to say, you're may find yourself very frustrated.

Last edited:
It's impressive. I'm not saying that it can't be done. What I will say is that most people would fail under those circunstances, and if you buzz past all of the anecdotes of failure to the one story that seems to say what you want it to say, you may find yourself very frustrated.

Yah I get you :) thanks for helping

Last edited by a moderator:
If it helps any, I have a 16" Finnex Fugeray Planted+ about 15" off the substrate which is flourite. My baby tears pearl. I run 20-25 ppm co2 and dose 1ml excel in a 5g daily.

The 16" has 60 7000k and 32 660nm red LEDs .

If your LED total between both stingrays is comparable. And at 15" to the substrate or lower. You should be just fine.

Edit: 1 final thought, LEDs get much more light intensity from equal power, hence the benefit of better efficiency and lower heat output. So your 11 watts is not 1.1 wpg but something probably closer to 2 or just shy of it.

Back
Top Bottom