Dwarf Hair grass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limnologist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I started a 5 gallon planted aquarium yesterday, the substrate is the new national geographic black sand. I have two baby sword plants and i want to carpet dhg, so I bought some and planted it. Im gonna get a plant specialized light that will be about 10wpg and since i cant get a C02 set-up, im just gonna get whatever fertilizer is the best. Im new with DHG, so, any suggestions?

I started a 5 gallon planted aquarium yesterday, the substrate is the new national geographic black sand. I have two baby sword plants and i want to carpet dhg, so I bought some and planted it. Im gonna get a plant specialized light that will be about 10wpg and since i cant get a C02 set-up, im just gonna get whatever fertilizer is the best. Im new with DHG, so, any suggestions?

Yea a really really good light, nutrient rich substrate and good co2 supply. DHG is considered by many a higher difficulty plant.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

awesome. I cant get a C02 supply but I can get a good light.
Thanks haha

Yea high light and poor carbon supply is a one way ticket to algae

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I seperated all the big chunks and added fertilizer today. I have no idea what the fert was, it was my dad's old stuff. he said he used to grow hairgrass and that this stuff works real nice so....

I agree with Sk3lly's sentiment on the matter. You can't make up for not having one thing by doing another thing well. IMO, when it comes to carpeting plants and algae prevention, CO2 is usually more important than ferts or light, and upping light/ferts without it is, as previously mentioned, a great recipe for algae.

I made a yeast powered co2 fertilizing bottle connected to my filter, already ive seen an increase of growth in the dhg

In a tank that size, you're probably going to get pretty decent CO2 levels with DIY CO2, though consistency may leave some to be desired.

the plants are growing immensely! they are sending out runners everywhere and are a deep, beautiful green. so far, they are doing awesome.

No promises! Ill try, but, my phone is pretty crappy soooo...... hahaha

Back
Top Bottom