Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

From the pictures it mainly bushes and then goes up like flames at least that's the way it's looking in the pictures. Just google it and look at the pics

Old 10-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
From the pictures it mainly bushes and then goes up like flames at least that's the way it's looking in the pictures. Just google it and look at the pics
I did sounds good I have some ideas now. Thanks!

Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

If you're not wanting to do CO2, can you at least supplement with Excel? I think you'll really struggle without CO2, but will have a better shot with glut supplementation. Depending on your light, I agree that a lilaeopsis sp. (micro sword, etc) would have a decent chance, as would a marsilea.

The extra CO2 from fish probably isn't going to be affective really at all. Overstocked can cause problems by itself without regards to CO2.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem View Post
If you're not wanting to do CO2, can you at least supplement with Excel? I think you'll really struggle without CO2, but will have a better shot with glut supplementation. Depending on your light, I agree that a lilaeopsis sp. (micro sword, etc) would have a decent chance, as would a marsilea.

The extra CO2 from fish probably isn't going to be affective really at all. Overstocked can cause problems by itself without regards to CO2.
Thats what I was worried about. I was hoping by using high oxygen consuming fish it would produce enough co2. Kinda a walstad thing I was thinking.
Anyway I cant dose anything. I know Ill forget. I work crazy hours and dont stay awake as long as I used to lol
Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

The only problem is that the same methods your using to introduce oxygen will offgas most of your CO2. I believe the walstad method preaches relatively low stock levels as well, though I probably need to reread her book soon.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem View Post
The only problem is that the same methods your using to introduce oxygen will offgas most of your CO2. I believe the walstad method preaches relatively low stock levels as well, though I probably need to reread her book soon.
Yeah, I'm reading bits and pieces ATM. I don't believe she says anything about co2 from the fish, it's more along the lines of decomposing organic mater in the substrate that supplies carbon? I dunno, something like that.
Billbug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:28 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I havent read her book just gathering what I can from other forums. Why would fish offgas co2?
I dont know maybe Ill stick with low light. Jungle val, anubias, flame moss, micrsword, and crypts. Ghkse are all low light right?
Old 10-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan View Post
I havent read her book just gathering what I can from other forums. Why would fish offgas co2?
I dont know maybe Ill stick with low light. Jungle val, anubias, flame moss, micrsword, and crypts. Ghkse are all low light right?
It would be the filter agitating the water surface and any o2 produced by the plants "off gasing" the co2. Nothing really to do with the fish, I believe... Plus, they realistically wouldn't be producing enough co2 to make a noticeable difference.
Billbug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbug68 View Post

It would be the filter agitating the water surface and any o2 produced by the plants "off gasing" the co2. Nothing really to do with the fish, I believe... Plus, they realistically wouldn't be producing enough co2 to make a noticeable difference.
Hmmm... then low light is definetly better for me I just hope they can utilize the dirt!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com