dwarf hairgrass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is co2 a must for dwarf hairgrass in a dirted tank? I want some but ferts and co2 are too much for me to keep up with.
I was thinking about experimenting with the concept of using extra fish for co2 however I cant get fish till Im sure the ammonia from the dirt is gone.
Thanks and God bless!

I wouldn't say it's a must, unless you want a dense carpet. If you're looking to grow a nice carpet, then yes, co2, ferts, and decent light will give you the best shot.

I wouldn't say it's a must, unless you want a dense carpet. If you're looking to grow a nice carpet, then yes, co2, ferts, and decent light will give you the best shot.

I see. So will anything carpet in a dirted tank with out co2?

Well I do have DIY co2 going right now but how I handled the ammo from recently dirting my tank was dosing prime everyday for about a week until I got a 0 reading before I dosed in the morning it took about a week.
But I will be honest with the dirt I really don't know if the co2 is necessary at least in the beginning. I did mine in a little tiny tank that I dirted just to get the feel of what I would need to actually dirt a tank before I did the big one. In the month I had the plants (including the dhg) in the mini it grew and the roots went wacko! I was dosing glut in the tank so I don't know if that made a difference. I don't think it will be easy but I don't think it's impossible.

Well I do have DIY co2 going right now but how I handled the ammo from recently dirting my tank was dosing prime everyday for about a week until I got a 0 reading before I dosed in the morning it took about a week.
But I will be honest with the dirt I really don't know if the co2 is necessary at least in the beginning. I did mine in a little tiny tank that I dirted just to get the feel of what I would need to actually dirt a tank before I did the big one. In the month I had the plants (including the dhg) in the mini it grew and the roots went wacko! I was dosing glut in the tank so I don't know if that made a difference. I don't think it will be easy but I don't think it's impossible.

Cool. I know I will never remember all the additives and tbh I just dont want to deal with it. This hobby is fun but I dont find all tje dosing and stiff fun lol
I was thinking if I stocked with some high oxygen needs fish it would produce extra co2 and maybe if I did enough I could have natural co2 be enough. Isnt that how it works in the bodies of water these plants come from?

I have it flame moss! I know nothing about it but that it looks really cool!

Ok I discovered today that I like flame moss! Does it get real super tall though is the question. If it grows tall and spindly like java moss then it wouldnt work but if it stays pretty small it would be perfect!

From the pictures it mainly bushes and then goes up like flames at least that's the way it's looking in the pictures. Just google it and look at the pics

From the pictures it mainly bushes and then goes up like flames at least that's the way it's looking in the pictures. Just google it and look at the pics

I did :) sounds good I have some ideas now. Thanks!

If you're not wanting to do CO2, can you at least supplement with Excel? I think you'll really struggle without CO2, but will have a better shot with glut supplementation. Depending on your light, I agree that a lilaeopsis sp. (micro sword, etc) would have a decent chance, as would a marsilea.

The extra CO2 from fish probably isn't going to be affective really at all. Overstocked can cause problems by itself without regards to CO2.

If you're not wanting to do CO2, can you at least supplement with Excel? I think you'll really struggle without CO2, but will have a better shot with glut supplementation. Depending on your light, I agree that a lilaeopsis sp. (micro sword, etc) would have a decent chance, as would a marsilea.

The extra CO2 from fish probably isn't going to be affective really at all. Overstocked can cause problems by itself without regards to CO2.

Thats what I was worried about. I was hoping by using high oxygen consuming fish it would produce enough co2. Kinda a walstad thing I was thinking.
Anyway I cant dose anything. I know Ill forget. I work crazy hours and dont stay awake as long as I used to lol

The only problem is that the same methods your using to introduce oxygen will offgas most of your CO2. I believe the walstad method preaches relatively low stock levels as well, though I probably need to reread her book soon.

The only problem is that the same methods your using to introduce oxygen will offgas most of your CO2. I believe the walstad method preaches relatively low stock levels as well, though I probably need to reread her book soon.

Yeah, I'm reading bits and pieces ATM. I don't believe she says anything about co2 from the fish, it's more along the lines of decomposing organic mater in the substrate that supplies carbon? I dunno, something like that.

I havent read her book just gathering what I can from other forums. Why would fish offgas co2?
I dont know maybe Ill stick with low light. Jungle val, anubias, flame moss, micrsword, and crypts. Ghkse are all low light right?

I havent read her book just gathering what I can from other forums. Why would fish offgas co2?
I dont know maybe Ill stick with low light. Jungle val, anubias, flame moss, micrsword, and crypts. Ghkse are all low light right?

It would be the filter agitating the water surface and any o2 produced by the plants "off gasing" the co2. Nothing really to do with the fish, I believe... Plus, they realistically wouldn't be producing enough co2 to make a noticeable difference.

It would be the filter agitating the water surface and any o2 produced by the plants "off gasing" the co2. Nothing really to do with the fish, I believe... Plus, they realistically wouldn't be producing enough co2 to make a noticeable difference.

Hmmm... then low light is definetly better for me :) I just hope they can utilize the dirt!

Back
Top Bottom