Dwarf Hairgrass Growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, I've got some DHG planted in my 56 which has fluorite sand in it. I got a big clump of it for $5 and broke it up into a bunch of tiny plants and a couple modest clumps.

What I'm noticing a week after planting is that there is growth... but it's up top! The tips of the grass have branched off and gone vertical. At the tips of the grass, it almost looks like new miniature plants are growing. Is this normal? I thought the runners went out from the root through the substrate, but its a green blade of grass all the way up to the strange new growth. This is my first experience with DHG so I appreciate any insight you can offer. Thanks!

that is very strange. I have grown DHG for a long time and never seen this behavior. Can you get a pic? You described it well, and I can picture what you are saying, but I want to see it... :)

When I bought it, it didn't have any of this growth on it. And it's growing fast. Including the original plant and these things that have sprouted up top, parts of the DHG are now 10" tall. Even the tiny 1-2" plants are showing this growth. My anacharis doesn't even grow this fast!

Attachments

• DHG1.jpg
    DHG1.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 134
goofy! I have let my dwarf hair grass grow out to a bout maximum length, and have never seen it do this.

Haha well... that weird new growth, now has weird new growth coming out of it. And its putting roots off. Maybe it's time for a haircut.

My first thought is it is not dhg but something similar. I could be wrong... But I have grown it for years and never seen a node form on a leaf even 1 time.

OK, so I have been doing some searching... I think from what I can tell, this is normal behavior for Eleocharis acicularis (dwarf hairgrass) and I have possibly just misidentified what I have in my tank for the past several years. I think I have Eleocharis montevidensis, and that is why I don't see nodes forming, even when I let it grow to 6" or so.

So... long story short, it looks like what you have is normal, and I was just plain wrong :)

Bah, I'd rather have the kind that doesn't do this :p Thanks for the help and IDing it Fort.

I got it at a local shop, I haven't actually seen it at any of the three Petsmarts in my area.

The DHG I got from Crepe last summer grows this way.

In fact, it has put off runners best by floating in a low light tank. Its done well planted in med/high, but the runners go nuts if floating close to a light source.

Its really weird stuff IMO.

Back
Top Bottom