Dwarf Hairgrass - How hard is it to transfer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone.. I have a nice small carpet if DHG in my 12g and i was wondering how difficult it is to pull some out - being that they are so deeply embedded and connected by runners? Will it be just too messy pulling them out to replant in my 26g? I'm debating whether to buy some new DHG or save some money by trying to transplant some over?

Thanks

I would personally get a sharp but cheap knife (one you don't care about), cut around a patch around in the gravel like a brownie, and then take it out with a scoop of your hand. You'll get substrate and crud, but it'll at least stop you from taking the rest of it along for a ride.

But I have no experience with it. Hopefully going to get a nice carpeting plant up and going soon now that I have Co2.

It's messy but you can kill two birds with one stone if you pull it up. Once you have it you can cut it into individual plants and replant both tanks to get faster carpeting in both. There's no getting around the mess but I've found that it isn't terrible unless your tank is dirted.

Edit: check out my build thread. I just gave it an update even though it isn't quite a month old yet. If you see anything I could change to improve it I'd love your input.

Thanks for the info guys... I just dove right in and starting pulling away slowly at the ends... Some of the stuff just broke off in clumps, while others I had to cut away a bit. Overall, not as bad as I thought... I just don't know if I have enough of it for my 26g project.

@CorallineAlgae - I'll be sure to check out your thread in a bit tonight... gotta shoot out t the door.

Plant the grass in very small clumps in a checkerboard pattern which will actually help the carpet grow in faster.

Back
Top Bottom