Dwarf Hairgrass Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I planted some dwarf Hairgrass in my tank about a month or so. Every now and then I find some piece floating around. I have sand substrate. When I planted it I just buried the base section.

I am just wondering if I didn't plant it right? What do I need to do to make sure it is growing good ? Any information would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Attached is a picture of mine.
. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417901949.760624.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What's the light and co2? Those cories might be uprooting it a bit when digging

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I planted it past the roots. My dwarf gourami likes to pull it up. It seems to help but I still loose some every now and then. There are long tweezers and scissors I got on Amazon that came in an aquascaping kit. They helped a lot. There are some videos on YouTube that might be helpful.

Surfnturf
img_3107091_0_b6cb2fe2ef2d6daa64c17c623274362e.jpg

I do add Root Tabs. Once a week to them. Is this beneficial or not ??

I do add Root Tabs. Once a week to them. Is this beneficial or not ??

Very. This plant simply will not do well without at least DIY co2, pressurised co2 is better

I have to disagree with that. It does need decent lighting, but I keep it alive and growing just fine (albeit slower) without any co2 or glutaraldehyde dosing.

Must need some pretty intense lighting to for go the gas??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't say intense, I just think that people often underestimate how much PAR they have at substrate level with these tiny plants. That, combined with transition melt/dieoff. I'm sure there's other factors, though, as I've taken DHG right out of tissue culture and into a high light high tech tank and still managed to watch it struggle and die.

I wouldn't say intense, I just think that people often underestimate how much PAR they have at substrate level with these tiny plants. That, combined with transition melt/dieoff. I'm sure there's other factors, though, as I've taken DHG right out of tissue culture and into a high light high tech tank and still managed to watch it struggle and die.

That's where I'm at.. got a new tissue culture yesterday.. they seem to be hit or miss huh?

That's where I'm at.. got a new tissue culture yesterday.. they seem to be hit or miss huh?

My UG was tissue culture and thats melted into nothing

I don't know if it has to do with the shock of moving from a very sterile TC environment or just having tiny starter plants, or it could be a combination of both.

I get in DHG (I think they are e.parvula) in quarter diameter plugs. I used to take them to the greenhouse and let them stay emergent where they would take a few weeks of kinda just existing not looking great, and then eventually a month or two in they would take off and get mixed up in everything. Since then though I've been just putting them in a shallow tank and they seem to stay generally in good condition with no dieoff and plenty of new runners along the glass. It actually complicates things when I have to pull some for an order because it screws everything up since they send runners all over.

Back
Top Bottom