dwarf sag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Folks,
I have some Dwarf Sag as a foreground plant that the leaves are getting rather long- not tall-long They have grown to about 6 inches long and now bend and floppingto the substrate. It has grown some shoots that are starting to propagate additional plants.
Question-
Can I just cut the long thin leaves shorter like a hair cut or will this damage the plant? what is the proper way to trim this plant? Its my best grower and is propagating nicely but i planted like 5 and its getting overgrown--Maybe separate them? Although that would upset the new "babys"
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks

Six inches for a leaf length is not that uncommon for dwarf sags. I just read somewhere that if you keep them densely planted, they will get longer/taller. If you want them to stay on the short side, spread them out a bit.

I have mine planted pretty closely because I like the look of several in a row. They are getting long for me too. Every once in a while, I pinch off the longest leaf right at the bottom where it joins the rosette structure. That doesn't seem to harm the plant at all. I have never tried trimming a leaf shorter. You could try it with just one leaf and see how it works. If you have CO2 you may see that cut leaf "stream" for awhile.

There is no harm in the leaves touching the substrate. My bettas like to hide (well, they think they are hiding!) under the bent part of the leaves. If you don't like that look, just trim off that leaf.

Don't worry about upsetting the babies on runners if you want to move and re-arrange the plants. You can leave the baby on the runner and move it too with no harm. I have found that the babies can be separated from the mother plant fairly quickly - either when the baby has two leaves, the leaves are about an inch tall, or after about 7-10 days.

picture

here is a picture of the "clump" of dwarf sag
i really dont want to rip up and spread out and replant--its settled in

i was very new when I planted it close together. :(

That looks very nice!

I can see why you don't want to uproot them - but you can. They won't melt like a crypt. Trim the long roots a little bit too so it's easier to replant. I grab a bit of root and just pinch off an inch or so.

You can also leave them in place, and thin out some of the leaves by snipping close to the base.

Ill try clipping at the base--i would hate to disturb the babies!!
thanks

Back
Top Bottom