Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2018, 12:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Dying plants :(

Hello, I'm looking for some advice regarding my planted tank. It is 36 gallon tank. I've got finnex FugeRay Planted + lights. It has been running for about 6 months and at the beginning everything for fine. My plants were growing really good but after a while they just stop growing, leaves are melting, some of them are loosing leaves or they turning brown. The only plant that is fine is anubia but it has green spoted algae.

Ph 6.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20-40

Two weeks ago I start dozing with Pottasium and Iron (everyother day). I'm using also Seachem Flourish (once a week after water change). But I don't see any difference yet. After some reading I tested for Phosphate and it shows 0. I'm a little bit confused and need some advice what to do next.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:03 AM   #2

Btw, my substrate is fluval stratum.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you getting any new growth? or just melting without any new growth? I am absolutely no plant expert, but it sounds like the melting is happening since you started dosing the new ferts. Maybe dosing too much? I'd do a larger than normal pwc and pull back on the dosing of the potassium and iron. Hopefully somebody that knows better than I will give you a better answer though.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #4

Only Anubia and Hygrophila has new growth.
Hygrophila has new growth at the very bottom of the plant but at the top it looks terrible (brown and kind of twisted).
Plants were melting before I start dosing and I'm dosing only half recommended dosage.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180112_150116.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	306223Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180112_150034.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	306224Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180112_150219.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	306225Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180112_145909.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	306226
Old 01-14-2018, 05:27 PM   #6

Anyone?
Old 01-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dying plants :(

Iím getting the same as you in the first picture you have uploaded
The water wisteria in one of my tanks grows great without adding anything or doing anything and in the second tank it looks like yours and Iím adding ferts and liquid carbon
Old 01-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

The reason you are seeing zero phosphate is because Seachem Flourish (Comprehensive) does not contain it. Direct excerpt from Seachemís site:
ďēProvides micro elements, trace elements and other nutrients
ēDoes not contain significant levels of nitrogen or phosphorusĒ
When I was using Flourish Comprehensive I also added API Leaf Zone thinking it would help with the macro fertilizers. Leaf Zone provides iron and potassium which you are already adding. You still need a source of nitrogen and phosphorus. The tankís bioload will contribute to the nitrate.
The light on your tank is probably in the medium light range. CO2 is not mandatory but some source of carbon is recommended (Seachem Excel, API CO2 Booster).
You may want to consider dry ferts. Basically, itís complete macro and micro ferts minus the water. Dosed everyday, it is Inexpensive, effective, easy to use. Two types of dry ferts are PPS-Pro and EI (Estimative Index). Two vendors for these are Green Leaf Aquatics (GLA) and NilocG.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love GLA. I dose pps-pro and use high dose glut and diy co2 and root tabs. I have also run my tanks with no ferts and no carbon source and I have never seen Wisteria do that before. A lot of the issue with the other plants looks like the green spot.
Green Leaf Aquariums
Old 01-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlaNowak View Post
Hello, I'm looking for some advice regarding my planted tank. It is 36 gallon tank. I've got finnex FugeRay Planted + lights. It has been running for about 6 months and at the beginning everything for fine. My plants were growing really good but after a while they just stop growing, leaves are melting, some of them are loosing leaves or they turning brown. The only plant that is fine is anubia but it has green spoted algae.

Ph 6.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20-40

Two weeks ago I start dozing with Pottasium and Iron (everyother day). I'm using also Seachem Flourish (once a week after water change). But I don't see any difference yet. After some reading I tested for Phosphate and it shows 0. I'm a little bit confused and need some advice what to do next.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Seems like a good solid light but really low on Nutrients and/or CO2 necessary to feed that light.

Sorry I keep pondering this and keep editing my post.. I don't think light intnesity is a problem but rather CO2 and fertilizer schedule is your issue

My thought is you are under feeding and need some CO2 supplementation. Liquid CO2 is an option. I would also recomment dosing your tank with smaller amount of a full range fertiliser more often instead of a dump once a week... You will have to play around some. Maybe does your tank every other day. Also water flow in th etank is important ot ensure ferts are getting everywhere they need ot be

Root tabs will help wisteria but Hygrophilia probably wants more ferts in the water column.

QUESTION.. After your water change and fert dosing do your plants look like they perk up for a little bit before returing to their uninspired state ??
if so then you most likely you need to play around with a better ferts and fert schedule and CO2 addition

Funken_A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyi, dying, dying plants, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com